Connecting 4" chimney liner to Harman P35i Mounting Frame Flue Collar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I just bought a Harman P35i Pellet Stove Insert and am installing it myself. I purchased a 4" x 25' Forever Flex Stainless Steel 316ti chimney liner and have installed that, but I am having trouble figuring out how to attach the liner to the mounting frame flue collar. The liner came with an "appliance connector", but I don't think this is what I need. Here's the details:

The mounting frame flue collar stub measures 3-9/16" O.D., 3-3/8" I.D.

The Applicance Connector measures 3-3/4" I.D.

The Chimney Liner is 4"

The appliance connector has these "L" shaped threaded rods which are called "speed locks". When I place that on the flue collar stub on the inserts mounting frame it has a larger O.D. than the flue collar and the "speed locks" stop the appliance connector from slipping down all the way on the stub. It only goes on about 1/4" if that. I think this connector is designed to fit on the inside of a stub and the "L" shaped threaded rods can be turned to secure the connector into the opening, but I'm not sure. The stove dealer recommended that I use a 4" liner rather than a 3" liner. When I ask them how to connect it they say they don't use the appliance connector they just connect the liner right onto the stub. But there is way to much play between the flue collar stub which measures 3-9/16" O.D. and the 4" liner to make an airtight seal.

Is there some type of adaptor that will work to make this connection? It appears that Harman has made the flue stub an uncommon size, so I have to buy a proprietary reducer from them... is this the case? Once I find a mating solution I should probably use at least two screws and some high temperature sealant on this connection as well, correct?

Also, the instructions say to wrap the short section of the liner from the flue stub up to where it enters the terra cotta flue with some non-combustible insulation to prevent overheating the fireplace cavity where the body of the stove, motors and electronics are sitting. What type of insulation do I use for that? Is there a stove pipe insulation kit available? Can I use regular unfaced fiberglass insulation.

Any information on making this connection in the proper way would be greatly appreciated.

See attached pictures

you should be able to find a 3-4 increaser and a rigid to flex adapter piece. I'm not familiar with Forever Flex products, but the pieces you're looking for will be "pellet" vent type. No Harman proprietary pieces necessary. Good ole fashioned unfaced fiberglass is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.