Connecting a Jotul rear vent to cement column

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carolynruth

Dec 16, 2010
Indiana/Ky
We have a cement column, sort of in the middle of a room. It has a 6 inch clay lined flue located 25 inches off the floor. This is making it difficult to find a stove low enough to vent properly. We found the Jotul 602 to be just the right height. In order to make it vent well, I'm wondering if it would be okay to connect the pipe off the back of the stove directly to the flue liner in the column, rather than getting more pipe to connect the two ends. It would also help with function of the room to have the stove back further. Is it okay to have the stove nearly touching the cement column? The Jotul website makes it look so nice this way... but maybe its just for the catalog?

Attachments

• Jotul 602 pic.jpg
    Jotul 602 pic.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 131
Also, is it easy enough to spread a layer of cement around to coat my column of cement blocks - so that I can paint it and achieve the look in the picture? Would I need to wrap the column in some kind of wire first? And would I need to use a special kind of heat resistant paint?

That's a question better posed in the DIY forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.