Connecting a PE Insert: What about the rear 2 holes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We recently became a PE dealer and were just looking over the Summit insert. We noticed that the rear two holes on the flue collar are next to impossible to access due to the sheet metal skin surrounding the firebox. The only forseeable way of secure screws to the liner on those 2 holes would be to remove the baffle and hit them from a dramatic angle from inside the firebox.

I decided to call Pacific Energy on this one. I spoke with someone in tech support who told me that they always just recommend connecting 1 screw and is the way they've done it for 30 years!!! He also noted that only 1 inspector has called them out on it. Although, 1 screw may be "good enough", I'm amazed that they are willing to take on this liability.

What have all the other PE summit insert owners out there do in regards to securing their liner?

We just put one screw in the front to hold in our liners when we install. The weight of the liner alone will hold it in place so we are not too worried, and someone shift the unit around that wont move until that screw is removed.

I used the one in the front, and drilled 2 new ones to each side as far as I could reach. You can take the top of the outer casing off, not easy, but can be done. And you will need to do this to access the outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.