Connecting auxiliary fan to thermostat.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Abyss

Mar 20, 2009
Puget Sound WA
I have a Lopi Leyden pellet stove that which is connected to a programmable wall thermostat. I am looking for advice on how to wire a 120 through the wall fan that will move heat from one room to another. I want to use the same thermostat to turn on the fan when the pellet stove goes on but I am not sure how to bring it all together.
I know that I will need a relay to take the low voltage from the thermostat and switch the line power on and off for the fan, but I when I try to measure the voltage coming out of the stove or at the thermostat I cannot get a reading on anything.
Anyone know what the control voltage coming out of the Lopi Leyden should be? I would have expected 24VAC but I can find any voltage on the thermostat circuit at all.

Any suggestions on how to do this?

You can't measure anything at the thermostat leads of the stove because the two wires are power out and returning through the thermostat switch, same polarity so nothing measurable between them. You would have to dig around in the stove control board to find the other side of the circuit. NOT RECOMMENDED. At least one other method I can think of would mean going into the internal stove wiring again so I'd rule that out.

Possibly use a relay powered by a separate 24 volt transformer through your stat. A two pole relay could then have the stat leads for your stove connected to one pole and the 120 volt power for the wall fan on another pole. Wiring mistakes would kill your stove dead so only trust this job to someone competent.

Blue Abyss,

I have a Lopi Leyden and tried a Honeywell programmable thermostat and had issues getting it to work properly. ( The stove works great on the Travis Industries inexpensive thermostat, but wanted an automatic set back.)

I returned the Honeywell as I could not get it to work properly.

Please, What make and model programmable thermostat are you using, and what wiring/settings did you have to use?

Thanks very much!

Old Ranger

The thermostat I have is a RiteTemp 6022. I think it is connected to the RH and the W terminals (I used the same ones that the cheap Travis one recomended)
It runs just great, the stove fires up whenever I program it to and runs up to temp and will hold just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.