Connecting Duravent Class A to Duravent Double Wall Stove Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryano42

Oct 8, 2011
Santa Fe
Soon the ZC fireplace it gonzo!

I am looking at the componets and I think there is an adapter needed from the twist-lock Class A to the stovepipe Tee...

9017ssstainlesssteel.jpg

Ocp69122.jpg

This and the support issues are all that's left...after the relatives split after turkey (and the NAP!) the dissasembly begins!!!!

Is this with Duravent? Is so, the class A sits in the support box, then there is a thin stainless adapter (CC-C snap connector) that links the support box to the DVL connector.

Attachments

• DVL connector install.jpg
    DVL connector install.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 590
If you end up using a support box, the part you will need is usually called a "Close Clearance Adapter" or sometime snap connector. It will snap into the support box and then into the DVL double wall on the other side.

If you end up using a roof bracket or wall thimble, you will also need a Finishing Collar.

I strongly urge you to put your plans in drawing form and post them here. There are several important steps to follow that will ensure a safe and proper installation. Show the plans for the chimney and for the hearth, including clearances to combustibles. The drawings don't have to be fancy. We just need to know you are covering all the basics.

Thanks for all your advice! I sincerely appreciate any and all comments. I havent cut a thing yet!

Here's a couple drawings I did showing what it is currently and what I'd like to do:

FireplaceCurrent.jpg

StoveInstall.jpg

I could also run a Class A tee instead of the stove pipe tee...make some support up from the bottom of the outer galvanized box.

Again...thanks for looking and helping! With your advice soon another Disco-era fireplace will bite the dust! :lol:

Good job on the drawing. Your decision on material to use will be dependent upon the clearances you can develop in the remodel of the fireplace. As you know the clearance on the Duraplus is 2" and the clearance on the DVL is 6". From your drawing you could use either type of T, again, depending upon clearances. Go to Dura-vents web page and the various DVL adapters are shown. Be aware that Dura-vent made a UL 103 pipe that was a 1700* pipe and then made the Dura-Plus UL-103HT, 2100* pipe. Many of the fireplaces used the 1700* pipe. Be certain od what you have prior to moving forward. Another issue for you will be how to hold the chimney up. You may have this chimney totally supported by the firebox. And you thought this was going to be easy;)

I just installed an Encore in front of my fireplace. Looks great. I'm still doing low burns for break-in/curing, but so far, I like it. Good luck!

The drawing is great and really helps. Thanks. Could this be done less expensively by cleaning the chimney, then installing a good quality insulated liner? It might take rethinking the hearth and lowering it if the lintel clearance is the issue.

Some big mysteries will be revealed when I cut out the inner firebox...still don't know what it will take to remove the inner 8'' chimney...but it is loose and only connected at the bottom!

Seems I have time...it's been pretty warm though we are getting snow in the mountains!

Thanks again for all the help! Please keep it coming! As soon as I start dismantling I will take more pics! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.