connecting flex pipe to rigid

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sergio

Sep 30, 2008
eastern MA
Help for the inexperienced.
What is the best way to fit the end of a flex pipe into the flex to rigid connector. As the flex is made up of a spiral of corrugated stainless steel about 2 inches wide the bottom of the pipe is not flat. Do I cut a triangle out half way around the circumference to make a closer to flat bottom or do I try to compress the corrugations to achieve that? Thanks for the help.
Sergio

Hey, Sergio...
Run a piece of duck tape aroung the liner
This will give you a guide for cutting...
Use a hacksaw to cut as straight an edge as you can.
Once you get to the welded seam, stop using the hacksaw & use a pair of SHARP metal snips to cut thru the seam...
Make sure you wear some heavy leather gloves while you do this, & work SLOWLY...
This stuff is only half again as thick as a sheet of TP & will cut you three ways...
LONG, WIDE, & DEEP!
I've found it's best to have somebody else involved to hold the liner firmly while you cut...
HTH

We used a die grinder w/ a good cutoff wheel to make the cut. The duct tape idea is a good one for making a nice, straight line.

Definitely heed the sharp-edges warning! Don't let a trip to the ER interrupt your install.

Status
Not open for further replies.