Connecting stove pipe to a cast-in-place flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

foxfield

Nov 22, 2008
Maryland
We are installing a Jotul F500 Oslo woodstove in a 170-year old masonry fireplace. The chimney has a 7-inch round cast-in-place Supaflu liner already installed. The base of the liner is about 80 inches above the top of the stove and is offset about 20 inches from where the stovepipe will connect to the stove.

Thanks to this forum, we have had most of our questions about the chimney, clearances, and floor protection resolved. However, we still have questions about the best way to connect to the cast-in-place liner.

Here are some of the options we have considered:

1. Insert a piece of 7-inch stovepipe into the liner opening. Seal it with appropriate sealant. Attach a 6-to-7 inch adapter. Run the stovepipe from the stove up to the adapter using appropriate elbows for the offset.

2. Insert a piece of 7-inch rigid stainless steel flue liner into the Supaflu opening. Seal it with appropriate sealant. Attach a 6-to-7 inch adapter. Continue downward with 6-inch rigid stainless steel flue liner using elbows for the offset to a point that it is out-of-sight behind the lintel (about 30 inches). Then continue straight down with stovepipe to the stove.

3. Insert a piece of 7-inch rigid stainless steel flue liner into the Supaflu opening. Seal it with appropriate sealant. Attach a 6-to-7 inch adapter. Continue downward with 6-inch flexible stainless steel flue liner to a point that it is out-of-sight behind the lintel (about 30 inches). Then continue straight down with stovepipe to the stove.

We would appreciate your opinions and advice.

Thanks.

I've moved this to the Hearth Room, as it is more appropriate there - hopefully you will get a better response.

My own personal feeling is that I like stainless, and feel that elbows and adapters are best avoided, as they restrict flow and make cleaning more difficult. Steel stove pipe is only supposed to be used where it can be readily seen and inspected, I'm not sure just where the line is crossed going up into a fireplace.

Thus if I were doing it, I would probably go with whatever it took to get a length of 6" flexible stainless liner hooked into the cast in flue (might be worth calling Supaflu to see what they reccomend) and go right to the stove with it, the only adapters being the 6-7" at the top, the end coupler at the bottom, and possibly a "Tee" if you are using a rear vent setup on the stove...

(I don't think the cosmetic difference between the corrugated SS pipe and stove pipe is significant or noticeable)

This would give you the smoothest curve in the connection between the flue and stove, and minimize your number of connections and fittings.

Gooserider

I was wondering what you paid for the supaflu lining (and how big your chimney was), who did it, and if you were happy with their job. I have an old house in baltimore (1880) and trying to decide between metal and a supaflu. thank you

nick

Status
Not open for further replies.