Connecting Stove pipe to Dual walled chimney pipe (existing and boxed in)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
by looking at it, how do ya know it is only 1700 pipe?

10+ years in the industry. Many years both installing & tearing that stuff out. It's air cooled, that why the insulation is stuffed in the gap. It kept the cold air from coming into the fireplace cavity after the DV unit was installed.

yup, I placed insulation in there. I'm trying to look up code right now. I see you are in NY. IS that the Code in NY; 2100 degree rating?

Thanks for the help.

I'm no expert, but doesn't air need to be able to flow through the cavity between the two pipes to keep the outer wall cool? I wouldn't go stuffing insulation in there if you're not sure what you're doing. But agreed this is a mute point. Spend a few hundred bucks for some class A at the nearest box store and be sure you have a safe install. It's worth it!

Well, yes, proper safe pipe is needed, absolutely. But for 30' + it isn't gonna be a few hundred bucks, it'll be a few thousand with the thimble and etc.

Good news is, it'll be a one-time investment.

I just found this on the NYS public codes website:

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/st/ny/st/b400v07/st_ny_st_b400v07_10_sec002.htm

R1002.3 Solid fuel appliances. Factory-built chimneys for use with solid fuel-burning appliances shall comply with the Type HT requirements of UL 103. As I read the HT-103 it appears that it can be rated at 1700 or 2100 degrees?
I don't see any mention of the NFPA-211 in the NYS REsidential building code, and it appears that the NYS code is a bit more lax?

so confusing....

I put the insulation in there just to stop draft after it was abandoned. I didn't plan on using it with the insulation in it. thanks for the concern though.

So where is the break line between the 1700 and the 2100 degree pipe? I mean what applications are the 1700 degree pipe used for? This was built only in 2005.

Well, yes, proper safe pipe is needed, absolutely. But for 30' + it isn't gonna be a few hundred bucks, it'll be a few thousand with the thimble and etc.

Good news is, it'll be a one-time investment.
Didn't catch the 30' or that it's thru-wall, sorry. But either way if you're handy you can do it for much less than a few thousand.

I put the insulation in there just to stop draft after it was abandoned. I didn't plan on using it with the insulation in it. thanks for the concern though.

So where is the break line between the 1700 and the 2100 degree pipe? I mean what applications are the 1700 degree pipe used for? This was built only in 2005.

The 1700 degree stuff is used for open ZC fireplaces. There is so much air being sucked out of your house thru the chimney, that the temperature in the pipe doesn't get as hot.

I am looking to connect to this chimney pipe. It has been suggested on this forum to get the same manufacturer, but I can't tell who makes this pipe?

Is there any way to find out what pipe would be compatible with this pipe?

It appears to be an 8" diameter inner pipe, steel rigid pipe, CLass A. Beyond that I don't know much.

thanks for the help.

NOTE: This thread has been merged with another by the OP. Both are in reference to the same subject matter...
Daksy

what if the insides of the Box surround were not combistible materials (like durock). Then would it be ok? Or if the clearances were in addition to any clearance to combustible material?

Ok, NEw pipe or no woodstove it is. Wouldn't want to take the chance on using that pipe with toddler, and infant on the way!

Thanks for all of the help here guys. I really appreciate the help.

Great forum.

Good luck to all and have a happy (and safe) holiday!

Status
Not open for further replies.