Connecting stove piping question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Relex

Jan 24, 2015
Pa
I've been lurking around these forums for a while now and finally decided to join.

To make a long story short I currently have a pellet stove but plan on switching over to wood because of how much cheaper it is. I currently have my pellet stove going into my existing mason chimney which I did myself but that will be coming out for an Englander NC30.

Do I need to run high temp silicone where each pipe joins when going into chimney? I know I had to do that with my pellet stove but growing up at my moms house, her flue piping was just held together with 3 self tapping screws by the previous home owner and that was it. I have 14 bags of pellets left and considering switching out stoves once they are out and yes, I do have seasoned wood to finish out this winter.

Thanks

I've been lurking around these forums for a while now and finally decided to join.

To make a long story short I currently have a pellet stove but plan on switching over to wood because of how much cheaper it is. I currently have my pellet stove going into my existing mason chimney which I did myself but that will be coming out for an Englander NC30.

Do I need to run high temp silicone where each pipe joins when going into chimney? I know I had to do that with my pellet stove but growing up at my moms house, her flue piping was just held together with 3 self tapping screws by the previous home owner and that was it. I have 14 bags of pellets left and considering switching out stoves once they are out and yes, I do have seasoned wood to finish out this winter.

Thanks
If you mean the attachment of the flue collar or draw down adapter to the liner then 3 screws is usually enough. Some people like to use furnace cement but most feel it's not needed and will mostly just crack and fall out so it ends up not doing much anyway. Up top you'll need some high temp sealant to keep the weather out but the top plate and cap are held with screws too.

What kind of liner are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.