Connector Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pweber

Aug 22, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm installing a through-attic pipe and need some help. The setup is pretty basic, but the single-wall to triple-wall connection has me slightly flummoxed. My biggest problem is that I have no access to the attic to properly mount my ceiling support box. Everything will have to be done from below the ceiling and on the rooftop. The previous owner of my home managed to figure some way of doing it because when I moved in I pulled out about 12' of rusty galvanized pipe and a rusty support box. On the plus side, I've already got the hole cut in the ceiling and the hole in the roof with a decent looking piece of flashing already up there. If I pre-drill holes on the sides of the support box I may be able to get my wrist and screwdriver up through the 6" opening, but I'm hoping there's a better way. I've spent loads of time looking at online suppliers of DuraTech stuff, and I want to make sure I get the right connection at the attic. I'll be going from about 5' of black pipe to 12' of SS triple-wall which will run through the attic. Any advice on which connector, ceiling support box, etc?

This sounds like a candidate for a new attic service entry. It may be helpful for later work too. Otherwise how are you going to install the attic insulation shield? My preference is DuraTech double-wall class A for the chimney instead of DuraPlus triple wall. In your particular case you want to be sure because the triple wall has a larger outside diameter. Do you have an ID on the pipe that came out? Take it's diameter and match it with the new pipe. (assuming that this was class A to start with)

Status
Not open for further replies.