Connector pipe recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trktrd

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2010
Arkansas
I never have been happy with the single wall connector that I have. The slip joint is sloppy and the whole thing just looks pieced together and nasty. I have about 60" between the stove collar and ceiling box and would like to convert to a double wall telescoping pipe. So many brands and guages of metal. Of course I would like to keep it from breaking the bank, but I need something sturdy and user friendly because that pipe has to come down every time I sweep. Also, by using double wall, will I need an adapter to connect to the stove collar? And will my Condar magnetic thermo be useless on the new pipe?

The double-wall pipe will need to match the brand of your chimney and chimney support box. Typically there is an adapter ring at the support box to transition to the double-wall pipe. Whether one is required at the stove depends on the pipe and the stove.

My Ceiling box has a crimped connector sticking down about 2". wouldn't and brand of double wall just slide over it?

No, it really must match the brand for a tight, secure fit. By the description it sounds like you may have a Selkirk or Supervent Pro ceiling support. If so, many big box stores carry their DSP double-wall pipe. Here is what the assembly looks like for Selkirk. Does this look like your setup?

Attachments

• Selkirk ceiling adapter.jpg
    Selkirk ceiling adapter.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 183
  • Selkirk DSP.jpg
    Selkirk DSP.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 178
Looks similar. I have Metal-Fab box and chimney pipe.

OK, then your setup will finish a bit differently. You'll want to pick up some of their DWB or DWBTL (telescoping pipe). If you can do this with one length of telescoping pipe, that would be sweet. They make a 36-66" telescoping pipe TL66. The installation is simple:

2. If your installation is straight up and the telescoping lengths (DWBTL) can be used, insert the telescoping flue within
the stove collar and the outer casing over the stove collar. Secure all joints with sheet metal screws.
3. Extend the upper portion of the DWBTL to engage the crimped portion of the chimney ceiling support. Secure with
sheet metal screws (See FIG. 1).

Attachments

• metal fab DWBTL.jpg
    metal fab DWBTL.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 187
Sounds easy enough, and yes I am going straight up 60" to ceiling box. What about the thermometer? Condar magnetic no longer useful on double wall? I depend alot in my stack thermo for stove operation.

Correct, you'll need a probe thermometer for the double-wall pipe.

Is this another case of someone who has not seen the good single wall pipe?

oldspark said:
Is this another case of someone who has not seen the good single wall pipe?
Yes. Been surfing around looking at single wall and the Heat-Fab pipe seems good. 22ga. cold rolled steel with welded seems. I just would like to get away from having to reseal the joints in my pipe with furnace cement every time I sweep the chimney. Right now that snap together junk that is my connector pipe just looks like crap and is a pain to deal with. The only reason I was considering double wall was to maybe increase draft a bit and keep inside temps down some (my stove is too big for the house).

After much research and searching here I ordered the Heat-Fab single wall telescoping pipe. Cost a fraction of what my stove has already saved me in electricity this year, so it was time to get him a treat. I know I should have went with Metal-Fab like the rest of the system, but as far as single wall goes, this seemed to be a higher quality product.

Status
Not open for further replies.