Consider purchase of older fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BDerrick

Hearth Supporter
Mar 30, 2009
Columbia, Missouri
This is my first post to this excellent forum. I have large two large masonary fireplaces in my home and wish to obtain inserts for both but I'm on a tight budget. I am currently looking at an older lopi on craigslist which looks to be in good shape. The owner doesn't know the model number. I have attached two pictures. From my readings in this forum, I think it is a version of the Lopi 520 or LX possibly from the 1980's? Please help me ID this insert. Additionally, its previous installation was just slid into a masonary fireplace directly exhausting into the flue. I know this is not acceptable for current code. So, a critical question I have about this insert is whether or not I can use a stainless liner/block off with it? thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSCN1584.JPG
    DSCN1584.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,491
  • DSCN1587.JPG
    DSCN1587.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 696
There is a baffle plate in it, but no secondary air tubes. There is a mystery hunk of something on the top left above the baffle plate? It wont be nearly as efficient as a modern insert, you will probably burn 1.5x to 2x more wood and get the same heat output as a modern unit.

It also seems to have the air control style on the top where you restrict the outgoing exhaust. I have seen others with this style on here before, I don't know how well it works.

Looks like it has a round flue outlet already. You should be able to use a 6" round liner on it. Some of the old units did not have a boot on the top to hook a liner to, but most liner manufacturers sell different sized boots you can drill and screw to the top of these style units.

The intake air is controlled by the two sliders under the front of the doors. The one on top is a flue damper. A problem with a lot of these older inserts is fitting a liner adapter to them because of obstruction from the flue damper. The rod keeps a "boot" from fitting flat on top of the insert.

So.... BB, can you just rip the stupid flue damper out? Or is there a good possibility one would need that to control the fire on these old units.

If the Lopi is the way I think it is, yes you can cut the rod and the damper plate and take it out. But given the increase in draft with a liner on a unit that was designed to burn as a slammer I wouldn't want to chance it. You could end up with an uncontrollable stove.

When I installed a liner on my old insert the increase in draft was scary. But it was configured such that the damper didn't have to be removed.

I'd prefer to leave the stove intact and not touch the flue damper. Seems like the liner or appliance adapter could get a slim notch to fit around the damper handle rod, no?

Thanks for the already very helpful posts. So, do you think it's gonna be safer to run this thing as a slammer? Also, I have a lead on a buck 27000B. Would that be any better choice?

With a slammer you have a good chance of getting CO leaking into your house. Bad idea. Definitely not "safer".

Problems you will have with a slammer installation:

1. Probably illegal in every state in the Union.

2. They coat not only the flue tiles but the entire smoke chamber of the chimney with creosote no matter how you try to burn them.

3. Draft is terrible.

4. The CO danger mentioned above is real if something plugs up the chimney.

5. You have to lug that beast out of the fireplace every time you want to clean the chimney. Besides the strain on the body, it is pretty much impossible to do it many times without damaging the hearth.

6. They eat wood like crazy.

Burned in one for 21 years and can't believe I did it. I had numerous small chimney fires and have the aches, pains and chipped hearth bricks to prove how much of a PITA it is to clean the chimney with one of the things.

From wood consumption, to heat output to chimney cleaning there is no savings whatsoever in buying and installing an over 20 year old insert. I can see it with a free standing stove, maybe, but no way no how with an insert.

You've got all summer to hold out for a newer insert. Don't jump the gun on a mediocre 20+ year old stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.