Considerations for installing an inherited 1970's VC Defiant Stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Defiant's put out a lot of heat and unless installed in a basement or in an older poorly insulated home will drive the occupants out or be difficult to operate. Basically the stove really wants to run at high heat output all the time. Most folks want continuous burn so they are not having to relight the fire and this can be challenge with defiant as it wants to burn all of the wood quickly. Many postings on this site about new Defiant owners having backpuffing problems as they are trying to run the stove in way that it doesn't want to run. Newer stoves tend to be smaller and more efficient but obviously cost more up front. Older Defiants have a design flaw that was subsequently retrofitted, if you have a Defiant 1 that hasn't been swapped over from the single piece fire back to a 2 piece, odds are highly likely that the back of the firebox is warped. A stove this age most likely needs to be resealed anyhow but replacing a fireback is quite pricey and that money should be best applied to a newer stove. If you don't have a 8' flue and good draft, it will not work well and will be a bear to start a fire. Don't even consider using a reducer to fit a 6 inch flue.

The secondary air system can get plugged and many folks do not know how to clean them completely which requires removing some parts. The technique isn't obvious but once you have seen it done its not that difficult.

I have one installed in the basement that worked well to heat the house for 10 plus years and have resealed it twice plus switched the fireback over to the two piece. I now have wood boiler so the stove is rarely run these days except possibly in spring and fall when I just want a quick warm up. They were great stoves when new but the newer EPA stoves are more efficient. One trade off is my defiant can burn poorly seasoned wood, not well but it can do it. Most EPA stoves have a very tough time with poorly seasoned wood and many just wont run.

Reactions: Soundchasm
If you are balancing this out against new then I would look at all stoves and not just a new Defiant. There are many excellent alternatives. As noted, the advantages with the new stove will be much cleaner burning, possibly smaller (6") less expensive flue and chimney, less wood consumed, easier cleaning, less maintenance, etc. You will need to burn truly seasoned wood to get the max benefit from the new stove. Some comparison models to look at for starters would be the Jotul F600, Quadrafire Isle Royale and the Lopi Cape Cod.

You go from a crappy old stove from the 70's or 80's to a new modern woodstove and you will notice a few differences (if all things being equal as far as modern installation with all new materials)..
1. you go through a lot less wood. (efficiency)
2. you typically get better heat output.
3 Looks better (glass, styling)
4. Parts availabiilty ( glass, blowers, gasket, etc..)
5 longevity.

I grew up with a 70s Defiant. It cooked us out of the kitchen, and when we tried to run it cooler we got a great deal of creosote buildup and a chimney fire to follow. In its day, if run properly, it was a heat monster and a great stove, but peakbagger covered the issues very well. The secondary air system on ours did get plugged, the fireback did warp and crack, and my Dad ended up using the stove just as an occasional warmer rather than a heat source. He burned smaller, shorter fires by leaving the stove damper open, with full air, to prevent creosote buildup that comes from running a smoldering burn. (So he underutilized it, as a basic box with fire in it, run as a smoke-dragon or fireplace rather than a stove with efficient secondary burn.)

On the other hand, free is free. For occasional burning, sure, why not? But if you were planning to heat a whole house 100% with wood, a new stove is a great investment that will quickly pay for itself. Less wood used, fewer headaches and worries, and more safety and control (if run properly).

Status
Not open for further replies.