Considering a Pacific Energy Neo 1.6 Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

samtucker

Aug 25, 2015
Portland, Maine
I'm considering a Neo 1.6 insert. It would replace a Quadrafire 3100. To meet homeowners insurance requirements, we either need to go with a flush insert or do substantial work on our hearth and mantelpiece.

This means we'd go from a 2 cu ft firebox to a 1.6 cu ft.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has one of these, and whether they can answer either of these two questions:

1. Does the fire box feel small? Meaning, can you get enough wood in there that the burn lasts for what feels like a reasonable length of time?

2. Do you have any issues with the logs and/or ashes spilling out, or does the bottom of the box sit an adequate amount below the lip of the opening?

If you wouldn't mind posting a picture or two of the inside of the stove, that would be super helpful.

Thanks for your assistance!

Maybe post a pic of your hearth and mantelpiece to see if folks here can give you viable options for remediation. I know you can purchase hearth extensions...

Edit: Best to look at all options is all I'm getting at ... not to rule out the PE Neo:) Welcome to the forum!!

The firebox will seem smaller and burn times will be a bit shorter. There are several disadvantages to a flush insert including weaker heating, total dependence on the blower and more ash spilling that can get sucked up into the blower. And I think you will miss the almost square firebox. The Neo 1.6's firebox is shallow.

Seems a shame to replace a good stove. Changing a mantel out is sometimes a better option and it could be less costly. Can you post a picture of the current mantel pointing out the issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.