Considering a pellet stove for basement...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Ok - I'm very happy with my wood stove upstairs. It takes care of the top two floors.

However the basement that is 1/2 finished (we did an addition and added a new, now unfinished basement about 2 years ago) is not getting any heat anymore as we have stopped using our oil heating. I'd like to start using this space again - I had made it into an office space originally, not it is (cold) storage space.

Got a quote to run a loop off the oil burner to heat it that, well, was a lot of money. Electric would be ok if we weren't paying $.18 /Kwh. Although perhaps that will end up being the solution. Another wood stove might be nice, but I don't wish to pay for or install another full SS chimney up the outside of the house.

So - I have about 300 sqft of currently finished space, and 450 of unfinished (that I hope to finish in the next couple years). The spaces are connected by a single door so I'll have a challenge getting heat to flow between, but that is something I think I can manage by adding holes when I finish the space perhaps. (old exterior wall.. ).

I know very little about pellet stoves. What sort of footprint do they require (clearances etc?), is there a model that would likely heat this kind of space well enough? Should I forget it and just go electric?

Slow1 said:
Ok - I'm very happy with my wood stove upstairs. It takes care of the top two floors.

However the basement that is 1/2 finished (we did an addition and added a new, now unfinished basement about 2 years ago) is not getting any heat anymore as we have stopped using our oil heating. I'd like to start using this space again - I had made it into an office space originally, not it is (cold) storage space.

Got a quote to run a loop off the oil burner to heat it that, well, was a lot of money. Electric would be ok if we weren't paying $.18 /Kwh. Although perhaps that will end up being the solution. Another wood stove might be nice, but I don't wish to pay for or install another full SS chimney up the outside of the house.

So - I have about 300 sqft of currently finished space, and 450 of unfinished (that I hope to finish in the next couple years). The spaces are connected by a single door so I'll have a challenge getting heat to flow between, but that is something I think I can manage by adding holes when I finish the space perhaps. (old exterior wall.. ).

I know very little about pellet stoves. What sort of footprint do they require (clearances etc?), is there a model that would likely heat this kind of space well enough? Should I forget it and just go electric?

We have a Lopi Yankee in our basement, all the walls in the basement are studded up and insulated. We had been heating the house with it 1750 sq. ft. upstairs and close to the same for the basement.

Check out the different companies that sell pellet stoves and see which is correct for your heating needs, the clearances will be in the manuals.

Zap

A mid sized (40K btu) pellet stove should give you plenty of heat for the basement. A pellet stove with a small footprint may be about 2'x2' square and some require only a few inches of clearance. I would certainly look into a pellet stove myself before running an electric heater for 700+ square feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.