considering a used harmon oakwood and need guidance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sbtcabman

Jan 30, 2022
valley forge area PA
I am considering buying a used harmon oakwood model.
any things I should be careful about when one is used? I guess fire bricks can be costly, but that should be a visual.?what about the after burner system?
I am upgrading from the redneck oil drum barrel because it causes too much creosote too fast.
I'll take a look at the owner's manual online as well to see if anything jumps out at me.
really appreciate any input you folks can provide!
most kindly, steve t

Pesonally, I would pass and keep looking. It's a good looker but the Oakwood was not a successful design. It was high maintenance due to refractory component degradation. Parts could become hard to get over time and expensive. The Oakwood could also be a fussy stove to run.

I second what begreen said