Considering Adding New Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrsdws

Feeling the Heat
Feb 9, 2011
Central Illinois
So the mild winter, especially this last week, has me seriously thinking about putting a freestanding pellet or multifuel stove on the main floor of our house. My big biomass furnace can really put out the heat, but it's hard to dial it down for our recent high winter temps. It doesn't have auto ignition nor does it have thermostat capabilities. Everything is controlled manually through the control board. To burn this thing as low as possible and keep it running, it's difficult to effectively move this lower temp air through the ductwork before it cools. The lowest fuel setting I can feed at is 2lbs per hour. I can go to 2.5lbs per hour and this provides a decent maintenance temp in mid-40 degree weather...if it's not really windy. (feedrates based on medium sized corn - not pellets - adjust as necessary)

I'm thinking about adding a stove on the main floor of our two story house. I'm thinking that as long as I can move the air, I can burn far less fuel on these mild days than when running "the beast". Maybe something with auto ignition and certainly with a thermostat?

I'd be looking to heat about 2100sq. ft. with approximately 400 of that being upstairs bedrooms. Currently all ductwork is blocked off to the upstairs as enough heat rises to keep them comfortable up there. The stove would be located in the dining room which is fairly centrally located in an open floor plan layout. If put in the NW corner of this room, it would be facing in such a way that I could blow heat towards the living room, stairwell to upstairs, and office. The office and living provide access to the far reaches of the house....master bed and bath. These are traditionally the hardest areas to heat due to distance from furnace.

So, do you think that the 2.5lbs/per hour being burnt down in the beast with minimal heat delivery to the house would be better off being burnt in a stove on the main floor? I wonder if it'd be cheaper and more comfortable given the right weather circumstances. It'd also be nice for when you want or need that quick warm up.

Stove location puts me either venting to the north (prevailing winds WNW usually) or up through the ceiling and roof. I have a new roof so not thrilled about going through it...but...am worried about a 3' indoor rise then going out to north. Maybe this would be ok?

I guess I should've mentioned that this stove would be more of a supplimental heat instead of primary most of the time.

Your thoughts on all please?

Sounds like the 10 CPM would fit your bill. AM/FM usually has them for a nice price. It should eat about anything you put into it!

But if your looking for a sweet looking unit. Maybe the M55 cast or Quad MT Vernon. Both are very popular units here. And will also eat about anything you put into them!

Being a real fan of the mulitple stove program, I could not agree more.

A little stove that can run from the mid 8000 btu up to about 30000 btu should be perfect.

Many to choose from including the option of a good used unit.

Good luck

Snowy

So do you think it makes sense, given the limitations of my furnace, to utilize a stove like this?

I think they have a TimberRidge 49-TRCPM available now on their remanufactured units. The M55 Cast and Quad Mt. Vernon are beautiful units, but I'm assuming much harder on the wallet? I'll be the cost difference would buy a bunch of pellets.

What do you think about the venting situation?

An up and out should do fine for venting. I am not a fan of thru the roof, But if wind is a concern? You'll be able to get a high wind cap with a thru the roof. I haven't seen a high wind cap for any horizontal venting yet. And I have a similar install(up 5 ft and out) and get some issues if winds are above 45 mph. But you could just go to the furnace in high wind conditions I guess.

Up and out is certainly the easiest and if I'm getting that kind of wind then it's COLD here and the furnace would be called for. I may have a issue with a window location, though. I'll take a picture and post it.

BTW - half the battle won...Mama has bought in to the idea cause she loves the heat and hates the propane bill...hehe.

Here are pictures of my proposed location...sorry for the clutter...that corner seems to be one of the family "catch all" spots.

The edge of the window is 32" from the corner. I think that window causes some problems huh? Would direct horizontal, staying below and to the side of that window be better?

Attachments

• DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 259
  • DSC_0010 (2).jpg
    DSC_0010 (2).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 243
I would be all for a 2nd stove. The CPM would be a great unit for you...

You could burn your Corn from the furnace or Pellets that you have for your Baby already. Win/Win....

As for the Window. Going 1 ft above would be best. If you stay below, it has to be 4 ft below window.

Also. Englanders need a 3 ft rise anyways, so just take it up a couple more feet?? No??

Whats better than 1 stove? Two stoves.. What better than 2 stoves??? Three!! ;-P

Good luck... Have Mama on board is over half the battle.. Then getting a Fantastic Refurbed Englander (Summers Heat/Timbers Ridge) thats easy on the eyes, makes it so much easier.

Love the look of the CPM. I may be getting one this Fall.. The Drolet-65 is on sale at Northern for $1,999.00 though and its a pretty big unit thats got some HP.

To get above the window, would you vent directly outside....horizontally far enough to extend past the eve...and then up to just over the gutter?

The reason why we say to go up then out on the inside is if you ever get another stove you can buy an adjustable piece to make up for the height difference between the stoves. If you have too you could go straight out. Then add the rise on the outside of the house to get above the windows.

How about the corner where the hutch i? Looks like that would lend nicely to a corner install. And away from windows too.

Yes that's the corner I want the install. I'd love to go up on the inside and then out, but I can't really get above the window as seen in the 2nd picture. The window that is 32" from the corner in pic #1 is the same window just right of the front door in pic #2.

Due to location of the window, I'm concerned about the termination cap in relation to it. Which of the following is the best option?

Attachments

• img008.jpg
    img008.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 219
  • img009.jpg
    img009.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 212
  • img010.jpg
    img010.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 207
  • img011.jpg
    img011.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 207
Its not ideal for another stove later down the road, but if your gonna use 3" vent, then I.would go straight out and up. I would go straight out a couple feet, so I.could go straight up, without an off set at the top.

If you can do 4" (recommended) then maybe I would do the offset. With 4", you could pretty much run it out however you wanted then.

But because you have only 30" of clearance. You have to go above the window. (Unless you buy a Harman, only needs 18" with an OAK) ;-P
A couple different Manufacturers have reduced clearances with the addition of an OAK. Englander is not one of them.

Within the owner's manual, the following statement is made about vent placement in relation to windows:

ï‚· Distance from doors and windows, gravity or ventilation air inlet into building: not less
than four feet (4 ft.) below, four feet (4 ft.) horizontally from, one foot (1 ft.) above (this
does not apply if the windows are non-opening or have been fixed so they cannot open).

If the window was "fixed" so it cannot open via a screw and/or caulk sealing between pane and frame, would this allow for a "normal" install with a 3' vertical rise either inside or out?

Here ya go... Per PM...... My 8 month old got me side tracked.....

My Brackets...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 183
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 174
Time to update my signature...just won eBay auction of 49-TRCPM from AM FM Energy!!!

jrsdws said:
Time to update my signature...just won eBay auction of 49-TRCPM from AM FM Energy!!!

Sweet...... ;-P

Cant wait for your review. How it compares to the Baby and your furnace. As this is one of the top 3 contenders in my new stove this Spring/Summer.

Gotta say, I am jealous of all the new CPM and M-55 owners this year. There is a massive splurge of these owners this year. I guess word finally got out, that multi fuel is the way to go (Even if your only burning pellets) :lol:

Congratulations again. You gotta be one happy Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.