Considering an install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sola_ignis

Jul 30, 2009
North Kentucky
I'm new around here (and to wood stoves) and have devoured some of the threads with interest; thanks!

I'm thinking about installing a wood stove in our new house (1.5 story, full basement, built 1937, brick veneer, no/little insulation, 1800 sq. ft.) and have been told by someone that I could use the HVAC fan to circulate the heated air throughout the house if the stove is in the basement. Having read some of the threads about back-draft, I'm thinking twice about this suggestion. Any thoughts? I'm assuming now that the HVAC fan should not be in operation while the stove is burning. Any suggestions on aiding air circulation to help the stove heat the whole house?

BTW, I'm thinking about a Hearthstone Heritage. Am I on the right track?

Thanks for listening!

Before you install in the basement, please consider this information:

http://www.woodstove.com/pages/basement_install.html

You'll find that most people will say the best way to circulate the warm is to blow cold air toward the stove, setting up a convection current that will move the warm air around. I tried the "fan only" on my HVAC, and it didn't do anything to move the air. My ceiling fan, however, really does the trick. But, above all else, please read the above link to get started.

If you have the correct amount of return air, it shouldn't be a problem but as pagey said, I'm not sure how effective it would be. I have my stove in the basement as that is where it worked best with our floorplan and although it may not be ideal, it actually works pretty well. We just have a small fan shooting down the stairs and we even get pretty good heat up to the second story. Our fan is always on on the furnace/AC so I'm sure that helps some but you definitely don't feel hot air coming out.

Yeah we all give the HVAC fan thing a try at one time or another. And all have the same result. Using a lot of electricity for something that just does not get it done.

Ever thought of a furnace? There is a small furnace on the market that is epa certified and has a nice viewing glass. Just a thought. Those people who can heat with just a small woodstove are lucky. Dad does it. He has a stove in the basement, and he noticed that heated air would come to the upstairs door. He installed 2 wall vents in the top of the door and he heats his whole home this way. Of course all houses are laid out differently, so the layout change things.

Greetings sola. As you've probably read here already, the best return on investment is going to be sealing up leaks, and then insulating. That's true regardless of how you heat or cool.

The Heritage might work. Basement installs can sometime be challenging. There are several factors that can affect success. Is this an open basement with a large stairway in the center and the stove location nearby? If so, it may work out. Also, is this a finished basement with insulated walls or unfinished and uninsulated?

I tried the same thing to the extent of actually putting in a cold air return close by to suck up the hot air. It didn't work. As far as the effect on the draft, it really didn't make much difference except when I was first lighting the fire. Once the kindling was actually going I had no problems. However, I had a chimney that was 35' from the basement to 3' above a 2nd story. The draft was excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.