Considering Mini-Split Ductless System

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mgh-pa

Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2009
Northcentral PA
I've been reading a LOT about these systems, and I think it may be the route we will go for our home.

Shortened version of our situation. My wife and I bought our first home in March - A 2100sq ft split level built in 1979 (a major addition was added in 1997). The house has a wood stove (which we've moved to the basement/workshop and to serve as somewhat supplemental heat to the kitchen/living room above). The only other heat is electric baseboard. We would like to have AC, and a better heat system than the electric baseboard, but don't plan to stay in this house for more than 7yrs, so investing in a full on ducted heat pump doesn't make sense (plus the energy loss through the ducts).

Our average low temperatures in this area of PA are ~18 degrees in Jan, 24 degrees in December, and 20 degrees in February (goes up from there).

Below is the floorplan of our home:

floorplan.jpg

The "right" side of the drawing with the bedrooms is the split level portion. The main floor has stairs leading to the bedrooms, and stairs leading down to an open room below the bedrooms.

We were considering putting a mini-split unit on the wall next to the label "level 2" and using it to heat/cool this main area, and since the stairway is open, hoping for supplemental to the bedrooms, and the family room below (the main floor is 840sq ft, and fairly open).

What are everyone's opinions on this?

Some people say to go oversized if heating is the primary concern, but then cooling can become an issue (since you want undersized). Ideally, this will be our main heating/cooling system with the woodstove helping supplement.

Any feedback or experiences with these systems being used the way we want would be great. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.