Considering pellet heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does your house layout have many separations, does it heat the house and bedrooms well?

Somewhat similar, my kitchen is more open than yours, my basement layout on the other hand is more closed up. What I did and so far has had a real good effect is relocate the HRV outlet in the same room as the stove in the basement. I run the HRV in eco or recirc(recommended when bitter cold outside) and the hot air is forced out of the family room then drawn up the stairwell by a ceiling fan in the split entrance and eventually to the HRV inlet in the hallway to the bedrooms. The HRV recuperates some heat before ejecting the air outside, and warms up the new air coming in. I should mention to you that your insurance will not likely support a pellet appliance as primary heat source, in my case the electric convectors are set to 17-18c. Where about outside Ottawa if you dont mind me asking?

Last edited:
So you have a heat pump, Hrv system, electric convectors and wood fireplace.....

I live in brockville.

LOL...sounds like a lot hey;) When we moved in, 2001, it had baseboards and we hated them, Hydro being reasonable at the time we switch to Convectair units as I did not want to convert to oil and lower my ceilings in the basement with all the ductwork etc. For air conditioning we used window units, again nasty with installing and removing every season, so 2 years ago we installed a Mitsubishi system and since we wanted 3 heads it had to be a HP. The Venmar installed in 92 ended being recalled just this year, they gave us a $200 towards a new HRV, the unit is day and night compared to the old one, nice fresh air. The first pellet stove was installed at the end of the winter, the second one will be inspected this week, the real test starts now.

Last edited:
So you have a heat pump, Hrv system, electric convectors and wood fireplace.....

I live in brockville.

I also have the HRV system, electric convectors, and pellet stove... the house doesn't get cold... at all. You should be ok.
We have ten convectors but only turn on 3 or 4 (kid's bedrooms & kitchen) @18C during the winter. The pellet stove does the rest with our 3000 sq/ft of living space.

i am thinking of possibly getting an air heat pump for the mild days/nights above -12 C or warmer and have a pellet furnace to supplement . The issue i have is that the current furnace is in a closet space in our basement not sure if i would be bale to get a pellet furnace or add on in there.

There has been talks of opening a pellet manufacturing plant near our area in the next year or so.

i just found info on necessary clearances for a pellet furnace ( pf120 harman) and it requires an 8X8 room minimum even if i take the door off the closet , i still wouldnt have enought room since it is a hallway.
Not sure if it is hte same reg's for an add on

I would just unseal that one chimney & supplement by burning some bricks/blocks in the one stove you have - for this winter at least. A bit late in the game to be making wholesale changes for this year. Wood doesn't have to be buggy and messy - by keeping & using the stove you will always have that option for the future too, and if there are issues with the chimney (how long have they been capped & unused?) it will also be a shakedown of the chimney. Maybe a couple of mini-splits for next winter, and re-evaluate how this winter went when spring comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.