Considering Regency CL1200 (No Blower Available) Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jblood

Oct 18, 2010
Southern Michigan
I am new to stoves but believe that my house is a fairly cood candide for one. Our House is 1800sq ft ranch with full (unfinished) walkout basement. It is a fairly open floorplan. The kitchen and living area are combined and this is wher most waking hours are spent. Anyway, when the hous was built 7 years ago, we had a majestic factory fireplace instaleld as we preferred natural fires. Needless to say with propane prices, economy etc..., I no longer care for a natural fire in the winter months.

I have identified the Regency CL1200 as the only choice for an insert due to the fact that it fits in the majestic factory fireplace and matches the contemporary style of the home. Also, we are on wooded acreage so access to fuel is not an issue. I estimate that we use approximately 1,100 Gallons of propane/season for heat.

However, I have the following concerns:

1) No blower is available on this unit and the next size up CL 1250 will not fit. I've heard some say a blower is essential. Is it really? I have a cieling fan in the kitchen and a whole house ventilator that exchanges heat and humidity and air returns in the living area. Could these be enough to distribute heat?

2) I have an irregular surface surrounding the fireplace opening (cultured stone). Is there some reasonably aethitically pleasing way to finish off the seam between the stone and the sheet metal backer face plate. I will need a backer face plate as the fireplace opening is wider than the insert.

3) I don't expect that this unit will do all of the heating but I wonder if it is capable of knocking 30-50% off my propane? I realize there are too many variables to accurately assess what is possible but I wonder if practical experience with a stove of this size etc... would allow one to estimate very roughly what is reasonable to expect?

Thanks!

If the insert is used regularly with good, dry wood, it will help knock down the gas bill. The insert does have a 2-speed blower option which I would strongly consider to improve performance.

Have you looked at other brands to see if a larger firebox insert will fit? What are the dimensions of the Majestic?

The dmensions of the opening are 41 wide x 20 tall. Although there may be some other alternatives, the CL1200 is the only one we've found that will integrate well into our existing fireplace. Other options may exist but style no good.

The CL1200 states in the manual that there is no blower option. http://regency-fire.com/RegencyFireplaces/files/41/41f7ad69-e902-46d5-9869-41ae10b3a316.pdf. IL1200 does, but that is a different style that will not match.

My biggest fear is that I will take the plunge only to find modest gains. I feel like I would need to drop 30% off the propane bill for it to make sense. Otherwise it is just a space heater. Does that seem like a reasonable goal out of this little guy?

Got it, this is the contemporary line. I don't think we have any user information on this insert yet. Hard to say how good a convection heater it will be. Has the dealer installed any before? Ask for references.

Unless there is a safe way to increase the opening height on the Majestic, this could be the only option. Sounds like you would be the test pilot. Let us know what you think as the season goes along. It kind of looks like the core of the stove is derived from a I1200, so it should be ok, though normally these flush units do best with a blower. Worst case scenario you may be trying to figure out how to rig up some muffin fans at the base. Or there is the possibility of a free-standing hearth stove for some good heating.

I have the "traditional" I1200 in a 1650 sq/ft house and managed to cut our heating costs by 1/3. It's really too bad that the new model doesn't have a blower as I always run the thing with it on. Maybe you'll be able to rig something up, but I feel like in the next year or two Regency is going to figure out how to get a fan in the thing and keep its contemporary look.

Anyway you decide to go, good luck!

Do any of the Morso's fit into your space?

That was my thought too. I checked, but they are too tall. Same for RAIS and Wittus.

Thank Go Blue - yeah I am bummed about the blower but all other aspects of this thing are right. I do have room between the bottom of the stove and the hearth to rig my own blower but prabably not as effective as an integrated version and will probably look like a band aid. Hoping my ceiling fan will provide 'adequate' air distribution. If I could cut mine by 25%, I'd be very happy.

Go Blue in Lansing - that's cool although Green is on a tear. I work in Ann Arbor.

Thanks also to weatherguy an begreen. This CL1200 seems like about it. I like the Morso but no dice. My Majestic prefab is wide but short (40" x 20"). I wish I could cram that CL1250 in there. ughh.... never easy.

Here is a sketch with all dimensions. It is a Majestic BR42 (I think).

Attachments

• fireplace0001.jpg
    fireplace0001.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 427
BR 42 Manual Scan

Attachments

• MajesticBR42.jpg
    MajesticBR42.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 454
How is this insert working out w/o a blower?

We are in a similar situation ($$ propane, ZC fp) and the only thing we can find that fits and matches the house is the Alterra without the blower. My concern is that it won't provide enough heat. How well is it heating for you?

I love the stove but it is hard for me to quantify the impact it has had on propane use due the the incredibly mild winter we are having. That said, it is definitely not a house heater but more of a room heater. I have a ceiling fan and a relatively open floor plan with 10' ceilings. It is effective in heating about 1000 ft 2. It does take a while to heat but once it's roaring it does a good job. I think a blower would help speed up the process. It a fan definitely helps distribute the heat. I love it but I suspect it may reduce propane consumption by 15 to 20 percent. That is a guess again cuz of the mild winter. Bottom line it's a great small insert that is a nice upgrade to a zc fireplace but it will not replace your propane furnace.

Just what I needed to know. Thank you for the quick reply!

I think we'll need to keep looking around as we really want to get off propane and have a lot of air to heat, but it's a very pretty stove and I loved the install pics you shared in the other thread. Thank you :)

No problem. I wish there was more info available when I purchased but the stove was fairly new. If I could go way back I would put in a freestanding version and heat my whole house with it. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.