Considering replacing a large Timberline perhaps with a Englander NC-30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuffluck

Jan 26, 2008
VA
We have a large Timberline (accepts 25" long logs) that does most of the heating in an old farmhouse. It was purchased back in the early 80's.

I am told new generation stoves are better, and it seems that the Englander nc-30 is a well-liked stove. I saw one at the local Home Depot recently for about 800$, if I recall.

The NC-30 is smaller than the Timberline, I believe 20" is the max log length.

Does anyone think the NC-30 could beat the Timberline, despite being a smaller stove?

I am primarily interested in greater heat output, and also less creosote.

What is the firebox size on the Timberline? The 30 NC is not a small stove. It's a really clean burner and should burn hot and long, with a lot less creosote. I don't know if there are any left at Home Depot. They go on clearance sale at this time of year to make room for spring inventory. The stores have been clearing out quickly. If you find one at a local store for 50% off, put a deposit on it over the phone! Aslo check Lowes if there's one in your area. They sell under the Summers Heat brand there (same stove, model #50-SNC30).

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know the height of the firebox, and that might be hard to measure since the baffle plate is at an angle, but the area is 25" wide x 21" deep.

I've saw a Englander in the local classified as used, for 200$.

With that discount, that stove would then be selling at around 500$ at Home Depot?

OK, I'm going to estimate that it's somewhere around 3.2 cu ft. The Englander 30 NC is 3.5 cu ft. so you won't be losing capacity. But it will be much more efficient with that capacity. That means less wood used to make the same amount of heat.

In the past week, there have been several purchases reported here in the $498 range at Lowes. But as noted, at these prices, many stores are already sold out. Some folks have had to drive 60 miles to pick up their stoves.

With the 30 18" splits will be your optimum size. For comparison sake the actual usable loading area is 3.0 cubic feet. Manufacturers include the secondary combustion space about the load in the firebox size.

I went from a 4.3 cubic foot pre-EPA stove that would take 24" splits to the 30 with a full chimney liner and get more heat and the same burn times. And don't crap up the chimney or have to keep buying ten dollar bottles of Anti-Creo-Sote.

Thanks for the information.

My local Home Depot still has a NC-30 at 899$, but I am told they will mark it down any day now.

They also have a Englander 28-3500, which is a larger stove, billed as coal/wood furnace.

It is not as pretty as the nc-30, but advertises up to 24" logs. It is a blower model, but I suppose you could run the stove without a blower if you wanted to. It has heat shielding all the way around. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this stove? It lacks the stainless tube overhead air delivery system of the NC-30, so is it a less efficient stove?

The 28-3500 add-on furnace is not an EPA certified clean burn stove. If it was there would be one burning in my basement right now.

Thanks for the reply, BB.

I suspected that beyond a certain size or when a stove falls in a different catagory, it is not required to meet the EPA standards.

Interestingly, the furnace model has a glass front, as if it is being evolved into another style.

I wonder why the freestanding Englanders do not have an option of of rear stove pipe exit?

I would watch the Home Depot like a Hawk, they should be 20% off now but if you can wait and have the time to look, they should go further down in price. I was lucky and 3 days ago bought the last Englander 30 at Lowes, I took back the other stove I bought from them (Century Hearth 2.9 cu ft.)

I am putting the stove up in my Dads cabin tomorrow and I am quite excited to see it work and to see the look on my Dads face when we do a couple of small burns.

Like I said if you really want that Englander stove keep an eye on the website that should be the first to let you know, also call a Manager there he/she might know when. You might be able to buy it soon and when it goes down in price you may be able to get the diff. Many stores have a 30 day price guarantee.

Good Luck

Don't be afraid of the weight too, I took off door and firebricks and with a appliance dolly, a good quality one I will be able to move it down my ramps off the back of my truck and up ramps in my Dads cabin (all by myself, carefully of course)

I also just bought an Englander(Summers Heat) from Lowes for my dad. I also took the bricks out and door off to easily move it on a dolly by myself. My dad plans to heat the majority of his 1800 sq ft. home from his basement. This stove is replacing an old VC vigilant that almost heated the entire house...

Bravo fullbore,
Those stoves went faster than good hotcakes. I consider myself lucky to have grabbed one soooo late. I also consider myself unlucky that because of this nasty weather I am not able to install it today. Plus I have a huge ass pine that fell down across my creek and smashed my bridge. Oh yes, this will fun......Cutting down a tree that I can't use for firewood.....Yep unlucky today, but at least I still have power!

Status
Not open for further replies.