Considering replacing in-line blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
The noise level of the blower that came with the stove is starting to annoy me so I've been looking around for something much quieter. The current model is an 8 inch in-line centrifugal blower with speed control. On high, I can hear the air moving over the fins of the blower causing a resonance. On low, that sound is drowned out by motor hum. The blower is an elicent AXC 200B purported to be 60 DBa and 650 CFM.

I've been searching for specs on a replacement and heard that Fantech is noted to be quieter but they don't publish noise specs so I'd be buying a pig in a poke. The model that caught my interest is the FG12EC with DC motor. Given that it is DC, there would be no motor hum when speed reduced. Not sure though how noisy the blower vanes might be. It is speed controlled with an internal pot so I'd have to retrofit a remote pot if I wanted variable speed. I haven't seen any street pricing on it yet or Canadian dealers.

Research suggests that the quietest fan on the market is the Panasonic Whisperline of which the model FV-40NLF1 is 8 inch with 440 CFM. Fewer CFM than what the elicient purports to be but way quieter. I emailed Panasonic to see if they have a compatible speed control but they said no. Not sure if that means I cannot use a 3rd party speed control.

I think my safest bet is the Panasonic. Even if I cannot slow it down, given that it has less CFM, the sound of air movement should be tolerable. I found a Canadian dealer that would sell me one for about $280.

What say you?

Go with DC motor and you'll get rid of the 60HZ hum common to all (or most) 120V motors. This is really comes into play when using an electronic speed control.

Go with DC motor and you'll get rid of the 60HZ hum common to all (or most) 120V motors...
Ja, I trust that the EBM Papts motor they use will be quiet but I'm concerned about the vanes on the blower making noise. The fact that they refuse to give out noise specs has me wondering why. When I pushed them on specs, voicing my concerns about noise, they then suggested I go with their FG8 with AC motor. If their FG8EC with DC motor makes the same amount of noise as the FG8 with AC motor, it might be that the air turbulence and vanes attribute more to the noise level than the motor.

Nobody else with thoughts or real world experience with the blowers mentioned?

Status
Not open for further replies.