considering wood stove, please help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can a wood stove generate decent heat with a ceiling this high or will I have to be standing next to it to feel it?

I have the Jotul Oslo and this is what it's doing for me other than looking pretty. Unless you have super wood, it can take a bit to get it up to speed (above 300*). Once there is a coal bed, adding splits is a cinch and this stove will stay nicely in the burn zone. I start the Oslo with kindling and three splits and as soon as that's lit I add another two splits on top. That will last an evening and be gone by 2:00 A.M. An occasional fire. If the temperature is in the burn zone, you can feel it radiate at 10 ft. +.

Although we like occasional fires, probably most wood stoves are not designed for that. Or, put it this way, if you really intend to "supplement" the heat that you already have, that means you are trying to attain a certain temperature. That's entirely different task than having an occasional. The Oslo works best when running continuously.

With your space, you might do better with a larger box than the Oslo if you supplement.

Thanks for all of your comments- feeling better about the cathedral ceiling issue. Will likely go for the Jotul. As far as the wood goes, I've got plenty of space out back to store it, covered and could even keep it in the shed. I'll have to make due the first year or two but will initially purchase enough to let some sit for a year or so I can get ahead with making sure it is well seasoned.

Also to Nawtyflier in Raleigh- I've been to Fireplace Editions in Carrboro (friend had an excellent experience with them years ago) and to Flue and Flame in Cary- just because they are nearby. Good experiences at both. Guy at Fireplace Editions seemed extremely knowledgeable.

EddieB said:
I am new here too. I had many concerns about how much heat a stove would generate. I have high ceilings 18 foot in a dining room on the opposite of the house from the stove (about 45 feet from the stove). I also have cathedral ceilings upstairs in the bed rooms. The house is close to 3000 square feet. The first floor isnt all that well insulated, it was originally built as a summer cottage. The parts that were added on ( about 2000 sq ft) are insulated better. I had spent just over 4000 on heating oil last winter.

After reading lots of stuff here, I ordered a VC Defiant. It was installed on Wednesday. Thursday night it was just below freeings here and the wind was blowing. I can report that even with the stove all the way down, the house stayed in the mid 70s, the room with the stove was almost 80 and the second floor was 78.

The stove puts out an enormous amount of heat. I am sure even if it gets down to 0 or below, that the stove will keep the entire house relatively warm. Even the dining room, on the other side of the house with the high ceilings stays a comfortable 72 or so.

I'm willing to bet that I will save 3000 this year on oil, and use about 600 worth of wood to do it. I've already started collecting free wood, and in a few years I won't have any wood cost.

Last year, the house was always COLD even with spending 4 grand on oil. Now it's very warm and it looks great. I only wish I had done this years ago. Happy burning.

Ed

Excellent !!!

I have one of those "added onto summer bungalows", it can be quite interesting when you demo. The things you find :smirk:

But, once sealed up, they hold the heat pretty well!

Status
Not open for further replies.