Consistently seeing 725*-750* stove front temps, Why???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herdbull

Dec 31, 2010
Wisconsin
2 weeks ago I finally purchased a magnetic stove thermometer. It has really opened my eyes to what, where and how to burn this insert. It's been a great purchase and will help drastically cut down my wood consumption.

But, there's always a but. I can easily touch 700* stove front temps on even just 2 forearm size splits in the condition. Most of the time that I've been around and can keep an eye on the stove it will touch 725*-750* for maybe 15-30 mins. The thermometer is placed on the upper LH corner of the front of the insert. I don't have enough insert sticking out of the firebox to get it on top.

Here's my normal burning routine and maybe there's room for improvement. After a 7 hour burn overnight there's enough hot coals to toss in a couple small splits, open the air 100% and she usually catches in a few mins. After 15 mins or so cut back the air to maybe half, throw on a couple or 3 bigger splits, maybe wrist-forearm size. Somewhere In there I probably add another wrist size split or so.

Once those burn down the stove is around roughly 350* with a good bed of coals. This usually takes around 75 mins. I then load it up with 3 or 4 big splits, depending on how big. This is usually about a 3/4 load. Close the draft completely, have the blower on, close the door and leave for work. Unless I'm home and can keep an eye on it.

It takes a bit but after an hour temps start to rise. 450*, 500*, 600*, 700*, sometimes 750*. Almost every time. It will hang there for up to 30 mins. I was loading it up completely but have cut back for fear of an overfire. But it doesn't seem to matter. 3/4 load or full load yields the same results.

I talked to a guy yesterday that sells these. He's also burned wood for his lifetime so he knows the in's n out's of burning. He was somewhat concerned. I've checked the door seal and it's tight, everything appears to be in great working order.

I have a 20' liner with about 16' internal in a massive masonry chimney. The top is sealed tight around the flue liner. I have a massive amount of draft. I joke and tell the dog not to get too close when I open the door or it will suck him in - lol. The dealer thinks maybe I have too much draft and it's just pulling too hard? Being an insert there's no way to add a damper but he suggested maybe playing with the size of the opening at the chimney. Try to create a little slow down effect. Sort of like a car and it's exhaust. Vehicles need a muffler system to create a little back pressure to work it's best.

I almost forgot, the wood I'm using is a mix of hardwoods. Split and seasoned a min of about 18 months. Normal cruising temps according to the manual is 500*-600* and he thinks the limit that Wolf Steel put on that stove is around 700* stove top. I know I absolutely need to pick up an IR gun and double check these temps now.

It has me concerned as I use this stove everyday while I'm gone and there's no one here to watch it. As well as at night while I'm sleeping. Any suggestions? I can't say I've ever seen over 725*-750* but who knows what happens on days or night when I'm not watching. Load, leave it and love the temps? It's not hard for me to access the chimney so adding a small piece to the liner opening is pretty easy, even in the middle of the winter.

Thanks everyone.

My guess is the location of the thermometer. Could be too much draft but that would also burn your wood very fast which does not seem to be your problem. The few times our stove hit 700+ you really knew the stove was very hot just by the radiant heat. I'm sure you will get some good suggestions on this site. Be safe.
Ed

The upper front is right where the flame has to make a 180 deg turn and head around the baffle. It will get hot, but it's good to watch the temp there.

Check the airwash shield and gasket for leakage and signs of warping. If warped it should be replaced.

I found out what was going on or confirmed, errr..... unconfirmed the temps anyway, that my magnetic thermometer was crapoola. It read 50* high at 350* and more than 100* high at 600*. I picked up a cheap IR gun from Harbor freight. It appears to be consistent has a nice backlit display for night viewing.

Thanks for the tips and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.