consolidated dutch west model 2183 / repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chabotlee

Nov 16, 2008
Blue ridge, NC
Hi
I have looked at your site for advice about repairs to my consolidated dutch west stove. It is a 1991, model 2183 convection with catalytic combustion. I have had a hard time finding info and support for the stove. I have the downloaded manual which talks about operation, instillation & routine maintenance. However there are no diagrams of the stove and how the air flows in the convection chamber and using the fan. I have followed the advice to check interior seams. Removed the inner back and side walls, the bottom grate, blocked what I think is the air intake and exhaust to create pressure in the convection chamber and then traced the inner seams with smoke to find areas needing repair.
Questions. Should there be any air flow into the fire box?? In the bottom front interior corners of the fire box there was air coming in and I could not tell weather the stove was missing the cement or if this is an area that takes in air when the fan is on pushing from the convection chamber. Wouldn't that defeat the point of the dial air flow controls and add to much air when using the fan and cause over firing? I know all stoves are a little different but any help as to how this works and or who to contact with knowledge of this stove. One more question. I am replacing a interior broken bolt. What type of bolt will hold up to the heat?
Thanks for any and all help.

Status
Not open for further replies.