consolidated dutch west question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jclout

Oct 15, 2007
Southbridge, Massachusetts
Hi its the stove nut with another question. I'm yet looking into another used wood stove to add to my collection which my wife is taking well. It's a Consolidated Dutch West Federal model, older I believe because it goes from oval to round. Are the new ones only round? The round is 6" but I'm wondering if its not reduced from a larger oval. Code here in Southbridge, MA is that you can not go from a larger stove pipe to a smaller flue size and I only have a 6" flue which I will always regret not going to an 8" but I didnt see a need for at the time, so I'm trying to determine if the Federal model is a true 6". Also if it is, does it come with an optional spark screen for fire viewing? Thats really what I am looking for and it doesnt have to be a Con Dutch West. I think that one of the Vermont Castings stoves can be either a 6 or 8" with an optional screen but can only be used if you use the 8" because of the draft I guess.

As a building official in Ma yours is correct I got to ask why buy a cheap Taiwanese crap from yesteryear before VC bought the company?

elkimmeg said:
As a building official in Ma yours is correct I got to ask why buy a cheap Taiwanese crap from yesteryear before VC bought the company?

Elk, tell us how you really feel :lol:

If it is a older DW, it will say made-in-taiwan on it....on the back. I think even the first made by VC had the oval collars. I think the small and medium both had 6" flues, and the large or extra large may have has 8". You can tell by the oval size as to whether it is a 6" or 8", because a squashed 6" would fit in the 6" oval. You could also measure around the oval, and that should equal about 19" if it is 6" or 26" if it is 8"

Elk and others thanks for the input, I had no idea the old Dutch Wests were made in Taiwan, they are still pretty nice though rite!?!?

Eh, mediocre at best. If its a catalytic model, the lack of refractory insulation around the combustor will make it difficult to use. Some of the firebox cast pieces are susceptible to warping and cracking. They aren't all together awful, but they certainly aren't great either. I've burned a 264CCL so I have had some exposure to these stoves.

Stove Nut said:
Elk and others thanks for the input, I had no idea the old Dutch Wests were made in Taiwan, they are still pretty nice though rite!?!?

Maybe 3 on a scale of 1 to 10.......not really many redeeming features except not too bad of a burn if the cat and bypass are all in top shape. Beats a complete smoke dragon, but I doubt we will ever see one in a museum.

except this museum:
https://www.hearth.com/visit/woodsmans/source/2000dutchwest.html

Status
Not open for further replies.