Consolidated FA 264 Pre-1990 combustor fan question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mban112

Jul 13, 2008
Kansas
Does anyone have a Consolidated Federal airtight 264. I've read the manual and I'm curious about the fan. I'm curious as to its purpose. Also, on my stove right now, I don't have the fan installed because it is too wide to fit in the fireplace. Can I put firberglass insulation into the hole to plug it up or should I get sheet metal? Do I have to plug it up?

I don't have the 264, but an 84 224. The fan works to force/blow air through the convection chambers that run from the bottom of the stove to the top of the stove. These stoves were designed with the convection chambers so that the cooler air is pulled in from the bottom openings and exhausted through the top. The convection chambers are not open to the fire box. Basically they are just super hot tubes for air to pass through. I don't think it would hurt the convection performance by not covering the hole. You can definitley put a cover over the whole. Your stove should have another whole on the back (for mounting the blower on the back) that has a plate on it. Use it as a template and get someone to make you one out of steel plate. It will hold up better to the heat. I've had to do that with my stove. In fact I'm using the plate that was on the back (original to stove) on the side hole and put the fabricated plate on the back.

I'm curious about why the fan doesn't fit though. Do you have the stove shoved all the way into the fireplace opening? If so you are not getting as much heat off your stove as you could and plus you can't use your side feed door which is alot more convenient than the front doors. If this is the case (and I'm just guessing) pull your stove out onto the hearth just enough to be able to open your side door. That will expose alot more of the cast to radiate heat out into the house also you will be able to use the fan then which really helps pump out heat. They are a little loud though. Make sure you have good clearances if you do that though.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.