constant clicking HELP!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie2013

Nov 28, 2013
ct
My husband and I recently bought out first home. It has a woodstove and we thought it was a great way to save on oil. It has been an interesting journey. Buying wood that we thpught was seasoned and turned out not to be..etc. we are learning :) my question is my stove clicms ALL the time. Even when nothing has burned it it for a few day's. It is driving me crazy! It stops briefly when u open the door. What is causing this?

Attachments

• 1385679313413.jpg
    1385679313413.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 229
Squirrels/critters in chimney?? Something dropping on stovetop? Branches hitting flue pipe?

Is there a bi-metal, flap, or slide air inlet control on the back, side, or bottom? If the air control is damaged or loose then the air flow through it might be banging the air control plate against the frame. Take a mirror and examine the back & side of the stove looking for a small box with an hole or inlet. Try to determine if it is the cause of the noise... When the door is opened the air flows through the door so the noise stops. With the door closed the air tries to get in via the air inlet. Once you find the source take a picture for us...

My guess. If all else fails it is not the red wire, cut the black one. The red is a decoy...

KaptJaq

Last edited:
Bingo, I would guess that the thermostatic damper flap is what is tap, tapping like a nervous grandma. I cured this on our Resolute by putting a tiny magnet on the edge of it. That made it close more positively.

This stove appears to be a Scandia with its legs removed. Has this installation been checked and the chimney cleaned before burning? Is there a liner on the stove that goes all the way to the top of the chimney? Also, the left glass gasket appears to be falling out. That will affect the air flow and the ability to regulate the fire. It should be fixed.

Reactions: Blue Ridge Lou
Is that a slammer install? Slam it to ground and shove it in!

all kidding aside you should have thing inspected. by a professional.
I agree. There are all kinds of potential safety issues. Was there an inspection done on the house prior to purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.