Constructing new fireplace for woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skieratpsu

Hearth Supporter
Aug 22, 2008
Adirondacks
We are building a new home and have purchased a Vermont Castings Vigilant (used) Woodstove. Basically the home has been designed for maximum heat flow from the woodstove.

We have designed the hearth for a fireplace, and then we will plumb the woodstove into that. The purpose is that we realize that some people don't like woodstoves, and if we ever move, we want the new owners to be able to easily use the existing fireplace (we'd take the stove with us if we moved).

Our builder just doesn't seem to understand this. I went over to the home the other day and saw that the builder had installed a cheap-looking fireplace insert. There is also a metal flue going up the chimney. I called the builder to tell him that we basically wanted a brick fireplace. He says that we need a full masonry chimney if we want that. Is this true. I've had this setup in other homes, and it seems to be fine, but I never knew what the flue was made of.

I spoke to the builder today and he said that he could install a much larger insert, and we could plumb the woodstove into that. That is not what I want (because I think inserts look cheap), but I'll do it if that is what I have to do with the metal flue chimney that is already constructed. The chimney is 34 feet and has a metal flue.

What are my options? The hearth is 12" high and will extend 16" beyond the woodstove. I don't understand why I can't just line the framed-out firebox with firebrick, and somehow duct that into the metal flue. Then I can run my stovepipe right through the fireplace.

Help.

I dont see why you coulnt do that

skieratpsu said:
We are building a new home and have purchased a Vermont Castings Vigilant (used) Woodstove. Basically the home has been designed for maximum heat flow from the woodstove.

We have designed the hearth for a fireplace, and then we will plumb the woodstove into that. The purpose is that we realize that some people don't like woodstoves, and if we ever move, we want the new owners to be able to easily use the existing fireplace (we'd take the stove with us if we moved).

Our builder just doesn't seem to understand this. I went over to the home the other day and saw that the builder had installed a cheap-looking fireplace insert. There is also a metal flue going up the chimney. I called the builder to tell him that we basically wanted a brick fireplace. He says that we need a full masonry chimney if we want that. Is this true. I've had this setup in other homes, and it seems to be fine, but I never knew what the flue was made of.

I spoke to the builder today and he said that he could install a much larger insert, and we could plumb the woodstove into that. That is not what I want (because I think inserts look cheap), but I'll do it if that is what I have to do with the metal flue chimney that is already constructed. The chimney is 34 feet and has a metal flue.

What are my options? The hearth is 12" high and will extend 16" beyond the woodstove. I don't understand why I can't just line the framed-out firebox with firebrick, and somehow duct that into the metal flue. Then I can run my stovepipe right through the fireplace.

Help.
Sounds like you know what you want i would call a stove dealership to come out and explain it to the contracter what you are looking to do

we want the new owners to be able to easily use the existing fireplace (we’d take the stove with us if we moved)

If you want the new owners to have a fireplace after you remove the stove, that's what you must provide for. It sounds like your contractor has installed a manufactured fireplace, which will satisfy that requirement.

If you want to provide a masonry fireplace to be used after the stove is removed, you must provide a code-approved masonry fireplace. Which means a firebrick lined fire chamber and lined masonry chimney (not just a brick-lined wood chase).

Having a stove dealer to the house is a good idea. It would be helpful to everybody if you have the exact stove picked out for this meeting so every little detail can be set in stone.

I agree with Woodburn. It would be best to have a stove dealer over there, as they can tell you exactly what to do.

Look carefully at what TheChimneySweep is saying. You can't have a masonry firebox built inside of a framed chase. If a masonry fireplace is what you want, then your best bet is to get a mason out to look at building it. There are very strict requirements for a masonry chimney, clearances, support, footing, codes on airspace and much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.