Q&A Construction of clearance reducing wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hi there! Hope you might provide an answer to my question. I want to place my Vermont Castings Vigilant wood stove as close to the wall as possible. In order to do this I want to use cement board (such as Durock) covered with Cultured Stone. The 2 x 6 studs are exposed in the wall (I am building the cottage now). Any ideas as to how this firewall should be constructed? I would like the cement board to be flush with the drywall on either side of it.

Answer:

It is difficult, if not impossible, to build the type of wall you desire (flush) because a 1" air space must be kept behind the cement board. The correct way to build a reduction wall is to mount a sheet of cement board 1" (on ceramic spacers or strips of the cement board) over the sheetrock. This protector should be left open at the top and bottom - ventilated air space. A properly constructed wall with this system should reduce clearances from 50% to 66% (from 36" to 12-18" from the combustible wall). Contact Vermont Castings or your local dealer to obtain a manual or tech sheet on your stove

Status
Not open for further replies.