Consultation needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simpleman

Jul 6, 2008
Japan
I hope you are not all tired of being asked these questions. I searched for people with similar needs, but didn't find too much. I live in Japan and so going to my local dealer is not so easy due to language and the fact that stove dealers are not so common. So I turn to the internet. Even if those makes are not available in Japan, that's ok as I can import or look for equivalents supplied by local distributors.

I was hoping some people could throw a few suggested makes and models at me, just to get me on the right track, based on our specifications:

Small home: 2 floors, each is 400 square feet, both very open plan, very well insulated.

Environment never gets colder than 5F, typical overnight low is 15F, daytime low about 30F

Stove position: centre of the ground floor (which is square), with chimney running directly up through the ceiling and through the second floor then out near the apex of the roof.

Wood type: I will probably end up burning more softwoods than I would like to, but its the easiest to get.

Operation: We will burn each evening, Dec through March. We wont keep it on high burn 24 hours a day as the house is usually empty between 7am and 4pm. Overnight burn would be nice as it will be our only heat source so getting up to a slightly warmed room is nice, so too returning to a mildly warmed room in the afternoon. We don't mind if the ground floor room temp never gets above 65-70F. I guess when I leave in the morning I would like for it to burn cool and slowly so that in the afternoon it is still warm. I don't know if this constitutes 24 hours of operation?

Want to haves: Cooking top, small-ish footprint to suit the small floor space. Simple classic design. Last for a very long time.

Nice to haves Good viewing glass size. Not the most expensive.

What would people suggest?

Also, can we expect the chimney running through the second floor room to provide much warmth, or are they so well insulated as to not make much difference?

Hi from the us. I think most stove that are sold in the us will be very large for your home. jolut makes some smaller stoves that are real nice .Ive spent some time in norway and sweden and they have small stoves for smaller homes . The smaller stoves only burn 5 6 or 8 hrs max less with soft wood so you will have to start it a few times a day .There are some soap stone stoves that have a small foot print and are tall try a wood stock stove , hearthstone I think a soap stone stove would work because they hold the heat long after they have gone out and they dont get so hot so you could sit close to it . Ive heated with wood my hole life from when i was 14 years old .Stoves have come a long way. My stove burns 24/7 and i load it twice a day

I think nautojp has a small Napoleon 1100 which sounds like it might work. If Jotul's are available, an F400 (Castine) would be a nice choice.

Edit: Tom I was wondering if you shipped to Japan. That opens up more options.

Check these stoves out. www.woodstove.com.

The Keystone or Palladian would be a great fit for your home and they are the only stoves with a small fire box (1.5 cu ft) that will hold a fire over 8hrs that I ever heard of. Plus you get the benefit of the soapstone radiating the heat long after the fire dies out. The people at Woodstock are great to work with and will bend over backwards to help you out.

Thanks for the replies. We are considering buying and importing to Japan if we find a make that doesn't already ship here. Therefore we are open to suggestions for any make, regardless of whether they ship here. What we are trying to get an idea for is the type of stove that would suyit us, and then search for equivalents locally, or import if needed.

So far my research has lead us to the Napoleon 1150 (might be bit big). And the Jotul F 602 CB (I believe that these are sold locally in the country already).

We will look into the Keystone and Palladian. How ell do they take a pot on top> is eh surface smooth if are the stones recessed? I like the idea behind sopastone, but need a level cooking surface.

We have also considered the Anderlea T4.

Status
Not open for further replies.