Contemplating if extending the flue will cause more secondaries and improve efficiency.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Here is my situation:
I have a Travis Large Hybrid that was installed by myself 10 years ago and we burn 24/7 in CT in the winter.
It was before I found this wonderful community and I installed a crappy two-ply liner that failing now and has to be replaced. I will attempt to do this the right way this time with the proper type of liner etc. I did a lot of research and got the idea of what and how to do it, I think.

The question is if I should extend my chimney. The minimal liner length requirement for this stove is 15ft. I have 13.5 because of the raised first-floor location and ranch house. It's almost a straight shoot. Despite that shortage, the stove was working well. No issues with drafting or getting secondaries. See the video below if you have a minute.

I'm wondering if extending the flue properly with class A pipe for two feet will improve secondaries and performance in general.
Again, no complaints about the stove's performance, just thinking of improving it. Thanks.
Pic of my chimney below. The flue is in the middle.

IMG_2407.png

Stick a 2 foot long piece of singlewall on it and find out!

I imagine you’d see the most change on the shoulders.

I think the most attractive aspect of installing a 2ft shiny pipe on the middle flue would be me giggling every time I pulled into the driveway thinking it looked like a big middle finger and wondering if the neighbors thought the same. I would not mention this to my wife, and would act surprised if she ever mentioned it.

Stick a 2 foot long piece of singlewall on it and find out!

I imagine you’d see the most change on the shoulders.
I actually have on hand leftover of .010 Olympia hybrid, so might try it.

I think the most attractive aspect of installing a 2ft shiny pipe on the middle flue would be me giggling every time I pulled into the driveway thinking it looked like a big middle finger and wondering if the neighbors thought the same. I would not mention this to my wife, and would act surprised if she ever mentioned it.
Lol, that is actually on a side of the house that does not get a much of view. But would be a concern if you could see it from the front if the wife gets the idea.