Contemplative moment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
Air perfectly still. Glitter of the stars and a tiny sliver of a moon against the pitch black sky. The sky seems so much closer when it's cold. A single incandescent bulb illuminating the interior of the woodshed with rays of light sneaking out through the woodpile. Dog faithfully by my side offering assurance and companionship. Almost like Danny DeVito at the salad bar in Tin Men.

Stood there surveying the pile with sling in hand, contemplating what size splits to take in what order. No sense of urgency with the cold, as if the single bare bulb was providing heat. Back and forth, load after load, alternating between -18C outside and 77F inside, dog happy for the company, the troubles of the world seem so distant.

Life is good.

Reactions: Batman
I've had those moments too...ya know sometimes we don't realize how lucky we are.

I gotta learn to build more handsome wood sheds. So the wife will allow one to be built closer to the house. Getting tired of shoveling that 100ft path to get my wood. :down:

sonnyinbc said:
Getting tired of shoveling that 100ft path to get my wood. :down:
Mine's not exactly attached. Lemme see... 40' house, 10' stoop, 20' to corner, 20' shed, 30' space between house and shed = 120' of path. I use the snow thrower.

Attachments

• PHOTO28 (Large).jpg
    PHOTO28 (Large).jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,297
Good for you! I agree. I had the same moment this weekend too. My lab doesn't like the noise the chainsaw makes but he sat for about two hours 100' away watching me.

We're all worrying about depression, recession, whatever. So what. We'll all just be poor together. What are we going to do, evict us all from our own houses and camp in the yard? Family, Dog, and Food. What more do we need?

I only ponder at the wood pile when I'm stacking and that's only when I'm not singing my stacking song, which is quite different from my splitting song.
My wood is stacked right outside the back door and I don't put my coat on. If I linger out there too long I might freeze my ash off.

LLigetfa said:
No sense of urgency with the cold, as if the single bare bulb was providing heat.
Hmmm... I wonder if I could get back that feeling this morning. Weatherman says the -32C this morning will only climb to -19C this afternoon. My little yuppie VC fireside woodbox is empty and I have to go out to the shed for more. Oh well... the crazy dog will enjoy the company.

Life's a groan.

LLigetfa said:
Air perfectly still. Glitter of the stars and a tiny sliver of a moon against the pitch black sky. A single incandescent bulb illuminating the interior of the woodshed with rays of light sneaking out through the woodpile. Dog faithfully by my side offering assurance and companionship. Almost like Danny DeVito at the salad bar in Tin Men.

And not a complete sentence to be found. :-D

karri0n said:
Poetic license. %-P or maybe just the manic side of me.

So tell us about the "HM wife". what's HM?

High Maintenance

LLigetfa said:
sonnyinbc said:
Getting tired of shoveling that 100ft path to get my wood. :down:
Mine's not exactly attached. Lemme see... 40' house, 10' stoop, 20' to corner, 20' shed, 30' space between house and shed = 120' of path. I use the snow thrower.

LLigetfa that's about the right distance out to the our wood tent too. 64 paces, 2 doors, 4 steps and a move where I kick off my slippers before heading into the kitchen door. Just saying your picture makes it look farther...just did 4 armloads. Got a sling but recently started one arming it since the new stove burns best with smaller sized splits and arm loads became easy takes. I plow the path with the small tractor.

Happy New Year everyone.

I've got no complaints about the distance. The only problem is the wife planted a Staghorn Sumac right on the corner of the house and it's gotten so big that it pushed my path out toward the swale so now I have a turn to make on a slippery side slope that's banked the wrong way. If I redirected the path down across the swale, it drives the frost and that part of the swale heaves in the Spring creating a dam and a small lake in my front yard. I should bank up the outside of the curve with ice but for now I just need to stay on the low side and take it slow.

i have my wood pile close to the house less than15ft
when it starts to dwindle then i go out back with the wheelbarrow and bring it back up to a full cord i try to get out there and split wood then take the split over stack it and come back with the wood to replenish the cord

Huh? Staghorn Sumac is one my favorite trees and I didn't notice any when I expanded your pick. Anyway you're going to have to lock down that standing water issue before you take a tumble when it ices over. You could probably violently uproot that tree and replant it with a FEL...those trees are bullet proof and will take a lot of abuse.

3155754359_e720b3428d.jpg

Here's one of ours unfortunately from this distance you cant appreciate the red berry cones many times when it snows it looks like a professional decorator worked on the tree. btw they're an invasive species so you have to be ruthless with 'em...except for where you want them to grow.

savageactor7 said:
Huh? Staghorn Sumac is one my favorite trees and I didn't notice any when I expanded your pick.
That pic is 8 or 10 years old. Much has changed. The Sumac has surpassed the soffit. Here is a more recent pic from a different angle.

Attachments

• 100_0102 (Medium).JPG
    100_0102 (Medium).JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 549
LLigetfa said:
karri0n said:
Poetic license. %-P or maybe just the manic side of me.
Pulled him over for erratic, incomplete sentences, found he was typing with an expired poetic license. ;-)

Book 'em, Dan'l...

I'm sorry occifer, it must be in my other pants. :-S

Yes occifer, I can count backwards...

b - a - c - k - w - a - r - d - s
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9

LLigetfa said:
I've got no complaints about the distance. The only problem is the wife planted a Staghorn Sumac right on the corner of the house and it's gotten so big that it pushed my path out toward the swale so now I have a turn to make on a slippery side slope that's banked the wrong way. If I redirected the path down across the swale, it drives the frost and that part of the swale heaves in the Spring creating a dam and a small lake in my front yard. I should bank up the outside of the curve with ice but for now I just need to stay on the low side and take it slow.

Staghorn burns well............

Status
Not open for further replies.