Continuing Saga of the Jotul Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buffygirl

Oct 15, 2009
North Central Indiana
Well, guess what--it seems there's more than one way to close an ash pan door. The local tech came this a.m. to check things out. ---When you were all telling me to make sure the ash pan door was closed I was thinking duh - do I sound that stupid well duh I guess I am --cause I just pushed it shut and turned the handle till it latched. I couldn't pull it open so I thought it was closed. It seems some of these Oslos have a persnickety way of closing -- on this one you push the door shut, pick up on the left side and then turn the handle - you can hear it latch. The tech also checked out the door and there was too much gap so he took the handle apart on the inside and reversed the catchy thing-a-ma-do and it sucked the door right up. He also replaced the gasket with 3/8" --we did the $ test and the bill came out but you really had to tug it. I think he will be back next week to put a washer around the hinge to complete the job. Now there is a down side-I had to remove the front door ash lip because I couldn't move the air flow lever past the little fleur-de-les--all this adjustment has hiked that up a bit. The stove burns completely different now. I'm going to have to learn all over again. It is now burning at about 515 with the air flow at half--I may actually get away from it and not have to stand over it with more wood. I will have no excuse for not ironing those shirts.
Anyway--thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences and info.

Buffygirl

Glad to hear the tech fingered it out. Now you will really enjoy what that stove can do. You can always bring the ironing board over to the stove if you're feeling lonely.

buffygirl said:
Well, guess what--it seems there's more than one way to close an ash pan door. The local tech came this a.m. to check things out. ---When you were all telling me to make sure the ash pan door was closed I was thinking duh - do I sound that stupid well duh I guess I am --cause I just pushed it shut and turned the handle till it latched. I couldn't pull it open so I thought it was closed. It seems some of these Oslos have a persnickety way of closing -- on this one you push the door shut, pick up on the left side and then turn the handle - you can hear it latch. The tech also checked out the door and there was too much gap so he took the handle apart on the inside and reversed the catchy thing-a-ma-do and it sucked the door right up. He also replaced the gasket with 3/8" --we did the $ test and the bill came out but you really had to tug it. I think he will be back next week to put a washer around the hinge to complete the job. Now there is a down side-I had to remove the front door ash lip because I couldn't move the air flow lever past the little fleur-de-les--all this adjustment has hiked that up a bit. The stove burns completely different now. I'm going to have to learn all over again. It is now burning at about 515 with the air flow at half--I may actually get away from it and not have to stand over it with more wood. I will have no excuse for not ironing those shirts.
Anyway--thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences and info.

Buffygirl
Try putting the ash lip back on. It is very easy to get it just a little bit out of where it's supposed to sit, and that causes it to be just a tiny bit high, but enough to hit the air lever. Put it back in, and wiggle it around until it drops all the way into its home. This happened to me last week when I took the lip off to dump the ashes off it, and could have sworn I put it back correctly, but the lever hit it.

Glad to hear you have the door issue worked out! Happy burning!

Ya got to watch the catchy thing-a-ma-do. It will get you every time. Glad to hear the good news. Burn dry wood, keep the chimney clean and enjoy. Be safe.
Ed

Thanks all of you for your help -- I see what the problem is with the front door ash lip -- the tech left the ashpan door hinge pin up too hight and it is holding the lip up and can't slide the air control lever past the center of the fleur-de-leis---Does this hinge pin screw down or can I just push it down ---We have tried turning it clockwise a few turns but don't see any results ---Don't want to do anything to mess up the alignment or pull out the pin ---Any suggestions?

Thanks

Buffygirl

I used to own an Oslo, and found the ash tray more of a liability than help.
Between ash mess & overflow in the compartment, I decided to cover the ash
slots in the firebox w/ a piece of sheet metal & scoop-out the ashes as needed.
Made a big difference in my mind - less mess & better "coaling" of the fire.

Buffygirl, pull off ash catcher and check pin. Should be level or a little below stove part. Take a flashlight and a pair of pliers, I used my leatherman, and also push on the bottom corner where the pin goes in. Twist or tap down and it should just slide down enough. Pin has a triangle and won't go all the way. If this doesn't work just open the door and wiggle the pin or tap with pliers. EZ fix. be safe Make sure you seat the ash catcher with the two uprights under the lip.
Ed
PS could not work e-mail???

If this is a new stove, I'd make sure that the ashpan slip fit there just "cause." There shouldn't be any reason why it wouldn't on a new stove.. you paid for that S.O.B.

This all comes with some product experience.
The Oslo is a fine stove, like anykind of
technology it has to be learned, besides
having some unique functions of operation.
All are good tips from experienced owners.

This is my first winter with a Jotul product.
I burned for 30+ years on two Vermont Castings
stoves, which are great in their own way. Now
the Oslo becomes the primary stove, with the Encore
as a secondary.

Enjoy your Jotul F500 Oslo!

Open the ashpan door and while wiggling it up and down to relieve pressure push the hinge pin down. It is just binding up a bit. It doesn't screw into anything so you can just tap it down with something if you want.

Thanks to all of you for your info -- after I posted this a.m. I decided to just call the tech again and when I told him the problem he knew exactly what he hadn't done - said he would be in my area later in the day and would stop by-- When he came in he carried a hammer and vise grips -- opened the door and pounded the hinge pin down with the hammer -- so simple -- but if I would have done that it would probably have cracked or broken off ---anyway I'm up and running and have a nice fire -- with an adjusted ash pan door this is a different stove. Getting very cold here so it will get a good test this weekend. Thanks to all of you -- I see I am now a burning chunk--graduated up from a firestarter, I guess --??

Buffygirl
Learnin to burn Jotul Oslo

Personally, I liked it when I was "Really Hot" - always wanted to be.... %-P

Fire Honor Society does have a dusty top shelf kind of sound to it. But no worry, I always thought that the sz in your handle was short for sizzlin' :)

Oh? Now I feel better! ;-) I mean sizzlin'!

BTW: Short for Suzanne

buffygirl said:
Thanks to all of you for your info -- after I posted this a.m. I decided to just call the tech again and when I told him the problem he knew exactly what he hadn't done - said he would be in my area later in the day and would stop by-- When he came in he carried a hammer and vise grips -- opened the door and pounded the hinge pin down with the hammer -- so simple -- but if I would have done that it would probably have cracked or broken off ---anyway I'm up and running and have a nice fire -- with an adjusted ash pan door this is a different stove. Getting very cold here so it will get a good test this weekend. Thanks to all of you -- I see I am now a burning chunk--graduated up from a firestarter, I guess --??

Buffygirl
Learnin to burn Jotul Oslo

All's well that ends well. Enjoy and welcome to the club. Be safe.
Ed

The more one posts here, the hotter it gets!
Just like loading our stoves.

Thermal runaway! LOL

I have read numerous accounts of people leaving the ash door open thinking they have closed it. I compulsively check the thing as I have fallen victim to the "moody" ash door on the oslo. It sure is a shock the first time you realize it as you watch the dial on your therm spin. Even though you have figured out the problem be sure to give it a wiggle and make sure it is secure especially before leaving the stove for extended periods (sleep, work, etc.) Good luck.

[quote author="nu2wood" date="1260031822"]I have read numerous accounts of people leaving the ash door open thinking they have closed it. I compulsively check the thing as I have fallen victim to the "moody" ash door on the oslo. It sure is a shock the first time you realize it as you watch the dial on your therm spin. Even though you have figured out the problem be sure to give it a wiggle and make sure it is secure especially before leaving the stove for extended periods (sleep, work, etc.) Good luck.

Nu2wood -- That's the scarey part -- I shut the door and turned the latch -- I couldn't pull it one bit but there was a gap at the bottom -- being new to Jotul I didn't know the door had a quirk -- wonder I didn't burn the place down. Apparently not all the Oslos have this problem--Hope this helps someone else understand their stove.

Now if I could just figure out how these forums work - I'm new to this, also.

Buffygirl

A Jotul dealer said NEVER operate with the
ash door adjar! The stove was never designed to pull
air from below. Use the front door instead and
it will be easier to see it open, also with the handle
up.

Makes good Norse sense. Ja!

En meget god ovn. Means: a very good stove, in
Norse! A side hobby of mine is to now learn some
of the wonderful Norweigian language.

Enjoy everyone and keep warm.

Never use the ash pan door for extra air to the fire during startup or restarts. It's just too easy to leave it open too long, or even forget about it. Bringing in air from the bottom produces temperatures on the firebox floor grate that are much higher than normal operation. This will lead to wear and tear on the grate, and the potential for serious overfiring could lead to other damage or a safety issue.

If you need to let in extra air, use either the front or side door. I think the side door works better in this regard. It's easier to avoid any smoke spilling around the top of the door opening, and ash spilling out the bottom.

buffygirl said:
[quote author="nu2wood" date="1260031822"]I have read numerous accounts of people leaving the ash door open thinking they have closed it. I compulsively check the thing as I have fallen victim to the "moody" ash door on the oslo. It sure is a shock the first time you realize it as you watch the dial on your therm spin. Even though you have figured out the problem be sure to give it a wiggle and make sure it is secure especially before leaving the stove for extended periods (sleep, work, etc.) Good luck.

Nu2wood -- That's the scarey part -- I shut the door and turned the latch -- I couldn't pull it one bit but there was a gap at the bottom -- being new to Jotul I didn't know the door had a quirk -- wonder I didn't burn the place down. Apparently not all the Oslos have this problem--Hope this helps someone else understand their stove.

Now if I could just figure out how these forums work - I'm new to this, also.

Buffygirl

Stick with it, you learn lots and everyone has been a great help. The forum makes the whole endeavor a little less intimidating. Seems like your doing just fine in the forum. You've graduated to Burning Chunk! Which is more than I can say for myself!!!

There's never a problem leaving my ashpan door open by mistake. The fire resembles a forge if its even cracked. I have used it once or twice to make the coals attack a new load of wood promptly.

Please don't misunderstand me--I wasn't leaving the ashpan door open by mistake -- the dog gone thing was latched down and just didn't fit properly--took some adjusting from the tech to get it to close --SO --if anybody out there is having trouble controlling their fires, please check the gap in the ashpan door --if your door wiggles up and down on the hinge when open, it may not be closing properly and you won't even know it-you assume it comes from the factory in perfect condition-if you are new to a Jotul--might not know the little quirks of the stove. There seems to be a lot posted here about overfiring -- perhaps this is one solution.

Thanks for reading this.

Buffygirl

Glad to hear you are fully onboard with the Oslo.
Now enjoy it, along with this great weather.

All is well that ends well . . . sounds like you're in good shape now Buffygirl . . . glad to hear things are working out with the Oslo.

Status
Not open for further replies.