Contractor is suggesting these three models: Osburn 2000, Buck 81 and VC Merrimack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdInMissouri

Nov 20, 2014
Rolla, MO
Hello everyone,

Our living room is a huge freezer box, roughly 26' x 24' and has a 1.5 story ceiling. We have a masonry fireplace in our living room. The fireplace is located on an outside wall in the center of the room.

Contractor is recommending these three inserts: Osburn 2000, Buck 81 and the VC Merrimack.

Any experience with any of these? I want to really heat this living room and adjacent spaces with an insert. I prefer something that is not noisy and good quality. All three inserts are roughly around the $4000. for product and install.

Recommendations on other brands would be great as well.

Thanks

You may be able to go larger depending on how easily heat can convect to the rest of the house. Describe the house floorplan and sq ftg.. Is it open, ranch style, 1 or 2 story? How well insulated.

We are on a 1.5 story with full basement. The main floor is 2252 sq ft. Open floor plan which includes two bedrooms on the main floor. The bedrooms stay warm if we keep their doors shut. It's the rest of the space, living, dining, kitchen that are difficult to heat. The living room ceiling is 1.5 story so that's part of the issue, I'm sure.

The house was built in 1998 if that tells you anything about the insulation.

Thanks!

I would suggest going with a large 3.0 cu ft insert if the fireplace will fit a larger insert. It will cost more but the benefits will be longer burn time and more heat reserves. If you can supply the fireplace dimensions including H, W, D at the front and back we can make some alternate suggestions.

Reactions: ColdInMissouri
I would suggest going with a large 3.0 cu ft insert if the fireplace will fit a larger insert. It will cost more but the benefits will be longer burn time and more heat reserves. If you can supply the fireplace dimensions including H, W, D at the front and back we can make some alternate suggestions.

Thank you. I am measuring 35w x 23 d (at the base) x 24 h

Get the largest firebox you can for starters. Some would say to stay clear of the VC brand. And finally any chance you would want to lay down a hearth pad and have a free standing unit at all with a rear exit stove? That would greatly increase your options and stove size. If not, oh well. Whatever the case may be make sure the installer insulates the chimney liner and installs a block off plate.

Reactions: ColdInMissouri
The PE Summit is a good suggestion. In Osburn I would look at the 2400 insert. In Buck, the Buck 91 and in VC, the Merrimack.

Reactions: Wicchunter
Status
Not open for further replies.