Contractor savings on gas fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pmnovak1

Oct 6, 2010
St. Paul, MN
I'm buying a Fireplace Xtrodinair gas fireplace for my basement which is in the process of being finished. The fireplace retails for about $5k.

How much savings should I typically see by having my General Contractor buy the fireplace? I know in many cases, the contractor prices can be significantly lower on certain items. I want to make sure my GC is being honest.

There ARE no typical discounts, least round these parts.
The total discounts vary from builder to builder & are usually
volume based. If a guy does one to five houses a year, he won't
get the same discount as the guy who does 25 -30 & HE won't get
the same as the big builders doing 100+...
Just to venture a guess, I'd say 5 - 10% would be a decent discount
ESPECIALLY this time of year (supply/demand)

The contractors typically get a discount as incentive to sell the fireplaces for the dealer. The GC can then sell the fireplace to the customer for close to list price and make some money in the deal if they want. Some contractors pass their discounts on to the customers but they might make that back up by charging more for the framing work, gasline, etc... involved with the fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.