Control circuit boards.. how reliable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

berg

Feb 18, 2012
utah
Seems like I have read quite a few threads on control panels going bad or mis-diagnosed.

I am worried (with out cause btw) about my board going bad in a few years and i am left with a
boat anchor. My Stove is a bosca spirit 500. I was thinking .. are there generic circuit boards that will work if years down the road I need one. Maybe the better question is how reliable are they?
Mine is just under the hopper lid and appears to be fine for now. I have not fired up the stove yet
just planning ahead for this fall.

It seems that if you feed these things clean electricity they can hold up well. Use a quality surge protector up stream of the stove. I have seen board level repair offered from sellers on eBay too. You pay the fee and send them your board so that they can replace the burnt it triac or whatever else may have gone bad.

Folks have replaced their own triacs on boards too. You just need to be a bit skillfull with a soldering iron.

Other than the relays quitting, Triacs usually do pretty well. Its the surges and zaps they don't like. Not to mention the shorted motors or frayed wires grounding to the chassis. A good surge suppressor is added insurance. If your really worried? Try adding a fuse to each component to protect the board. Some of the newer boards have an inline fuse these days.

I run a Tripp lite surge suppressor and plug a back up power supply with built in surge suppressor, keep the voltage clean and the board will last:)

I run a Tripp lite surge suppressor and plug it into a back up power supply with built in surge suppressor, keep the voltage clean and the board will last:)

Status
Not open for further replies.