"Control knob" problems on an older P38

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Val

Mar 17, 2012
NY
Just wondering...I have a year 2000 P38 that I bought used in 2004. The former owners moved from another state and could not utilize the stove in their literally "brand new" home. Well, the control knobs got smacked by the moving company. Then when I moved the stove to my shacky cottage, my boyfriend re-smacked the knobs ever so lightly. Ever since this bumping of the control knobs occured from when I first bought the stove, I noticed that the settings seem to be off, particularily on the auger speed control. For example, you have to start the stove on 3, intead of 1.....other times the stove may shut down and not feed...etc. But the stove, once it gets going, runs great. I think it is a problem where the knobs contact / operate on the circuit board. If you wiggle the knobs, the auger will turn on and off. Any thoughts on control knob issues on older p38's?

Hey val

Whether or not there are knob issues on older P38's is most likely not the issue here. The knobs getting smacked around on 2 separate occasions is the likely culprit.

These knobs are generally potentiometers that are usually soldered on to a control board of some kind. Whether pt not you can get those potentiometers and then be able to remove and resolder the new ones in place is where the questions come in. Otherwise, it looks like a board replacement might be in order.

If you are lucky, the potentiometers will be separate and have wires that attach to a control board. That would be a much easier fix, but also less likely.

Might be time to smack some of these people around ==c

Reactions: Defiant
Reactions: gbreda
yup, all, as long as thats the issue and the board hasnt been messed up otherwise.........

yup, all, as long as thats the issue and the board hasnt been messed up otherwise.........
Any good electronics tech should be able to replace the potentiometers. I got mine off ebay.
The hardest part is removing them from the somewhat flexible/delicate control board. They are well soldered i on both sides of the board with the stab tabs bent over prior to being soldered. The use of a good quality solder sucker/remover is required.
Hopefully the control board with it`s printed circuitry wasn`t damaged.

Any good electronics tech should be able to replace the potentiometers. I got mine off ebay.
The hardest part is removing them from the somewhat flexible/delicate control board. They are well soldered i on both sides of the board with the stab tabs bent over prior to being soldered. The use of a good quality solder sucker/remover is required.
Hopefully the control board with it`s printed circuitry wasn`t damaged.

most likely correct, Master Chief! My point was that you could go thru the motions of finding someone to do this, having it done, THEN find out that wasnt the issue.....the control boards for the "old" P38's are no longer available through Harman (tho its fairly likely you can find a dealer with some- I know someone who has 25- ==c ). There is a retrofit kit to make the new boards work (IMHO more than a retrofit, it easily gives you room sensor capability- think old P61), but its a bit of work to install...

Status
Not open for further replies.