Controlling Fireview surface temp?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Ryan

Mar 17, 2008
Long Island NY
I just recently install a new Woodstock Fireview stove. I have followed the instructions and all seems well. I have no problem reaching high temps around 600 F except one time it was really humid out. My question is how do i prevent it from getting that hot if i don't need the heat. Do i just put less wood in, then i don't get the long burns. When the cats engaged should i open the damper a little more to let some heat out. I am nervous of overfiring when i go to sleep.

Thanks

Hi Chief. Like you drive your car, if you want more power you give it more fuel. Same with the stove. You want less, use less. This time of the year you shouldn't need that much fuel in that stove for sure. We live in a much cooler climate than yours and we've not put more than 3 small splits in our stove yet this fall. That will last for hours. Even though the wood burns up you should still be getting heat. For example, last evening I put in 3 small junk splits around 8:00. Nothing was added to the stove until 7:30 this morning. The stove temperature was just a tad below 200 degrees. After adding 3 more small splits it took very little time to reach 250 again, when we engaged the cat. Wait until winter to fill that stove! Don't burn up all your fuel before it gets cold.

Once we engage the cat., we set out draft control about 1/4 (that's 1/4 of the way to 1 on the draft control) and forget it. Todd sets his about 1/2. Each one could be different, it's just that we've found we get plenty of heat and the longest burns at that setting. Opening the draft will only increase the heat and burn your wood faster.

Perhaps what you were asking about opening the damper to let some heat out is that you wanted to disengage the cat. Personally, I would not do that. I highly doubt you will over fire that thing even if it is at 600 degrees.

To get longer burns you might also try putting in some bigger splits if you have some. The smaller the splits, the faster the burn.

Now sleep tight tonight!

Dennis hit it on the head. The only thing I would add is try burning the lower BTU woods like pine, Boxelder and soft Maples when you don't need as much heat. I just have one good fire with a full load of Pine in the evening, stove top 450-525 and the house stays comfortable til the next.

Thanks for the replies. I'm still learning how to use the stove and i don't want to do anything wrong. I've been loading it up at night with about 4 to 6 splits and it will be at about 100 F when i get home from work. It truly holds heat for a very long time. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.