Controlling heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Policeman510

Aug 23, 2015
I live in NC and have an older Craft stove insert. I currently close the flue to about 25% and then control the fire with the front dampers. I find that by closing the flue it burns slower and keeps the heat in the firebox better. Am I thinking right or should I be opening the flue all the way?

Attachments

• 1444757726259977081062.jpg
    1444757726259977081062.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 165
Kind of hard to tell with just one picture but it looks like a key damper in the top center of the unit and two circular air controls. I would try to use the air controls alone control the burn and limit the use of the damper to when/if you cannot control the fire with the air controls alone due to excessive draft. This can vary day to day. Stove should not be burned too hot. That means no glowing of the stove. I would get a stove top thermometer and use that to monitor temps. If excessive draft is causing stove to take in too much air and overfiring the stove then judicious use of the damper is OK.

The danger with overusing the damper is slowing the draft too much and possibly creating too much creosote so as I said I would only use is you determine draft is excessive.

It's an older unit which brings up the install. Do you know how the stove is connected to the chimney? Current US code says there must be a positive connection to the chimney which is OK or even better, a full stainless liner to the top of the chimney.

The worst install of all is to have a section of flue pipe shoved up into the chimney with no sealed connection. This type of connection can allow flue gases back into the house (think CO) and allow cool room air to mix with exhaust gases compounding creosote formation which could clog the system and really allow gases into the house.

This is the reason I would be extra careful with using the damper. Even with a sealed connection you don't want to slow draft too much and cause creosote formation which can cause chimney fires at best or if you have no sealed connection allow gases into house.

Reactions: begreen
The worst install of all is to have a section of flue pipe shoved up into the chimney with no sealed connection.
well that is bad yes but no pipe at all is even worse

Reactions: jatoxico
Fair enough, I guess that happens too!

I actually see it more often than a stub of pipe shoved up there. But that is probably regional but either one is bad

Makes sense. I know it didn't sound right to be shutting down the flue.
it will be a combination of the 2 and how much of each will vary allot depending on the draft. How is it installed? Is it hooked to a liner?

It's a slam install. I know I'm going to hear about it, but I think it really is a regional thing. Most installs in this area are slams. But, I've got a tight seal around it and clean the chimney every season.

It's a slam install. I know I'm going to hear about it, but I think it really is a regional thing. Most installs in this area are slams. But, I've got a tight seal around it and clean the chimney every season.
tight seal or not it is still not to code and still dangerous. Just because allot of people do it does not mean it is right

Status
Not open for further replies.