Controlling the damper on the under side of the stove????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wormyone

Dec 30, 2013
North Carolina
I am still getting use to setting the damper to the righ position for bets burn times and heat. It alwasy seems that when I get the fire going good and then choke down the damper to half way or a little better than half it helps with the consumption of wood but sometimes it seems liek flue and heat temps are affected. It would seem like haveiing the damper closed would alow more heat to stay in the stove but aththe same time with the damper being on the bottom and not on the top or in the flue itself thsat alot of the heat is still getting out..Any help on how to properly run/set the damper would be great

It sounds like you have the right idea on how to control the air (many don't understand that reducing the air increases the heat). Do you have a stovetop or flue thermometer? If so, what are you at when you turn down the air? At a guess, what you are describing sounds like unseasoned wood (that's the default answer to 80+% of problems here).

TE

Normally I am geeting temps on the corner of my door at around 425 to 500. My flue is any where from 280 to 330. It is hare to get a accurate stove top temp because it has a chamerber on top that air passes through when the blower is on

Status
Not open for further replies.