CONTROLS for my OWB

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barkeatr

Jan 22, 2011
Upstate NY
ive intalled my own gassification OWB system, a profab 200. ..Im ok with general plumbing but weak on controls. But Im tired of manually turning off the OWB when it is almost out of heat (for whatever reason) so my fuel oil fired system doesnt fire up just to heat the water in the OWB system, if that makes sense.

I need a control that shuts off the OWB circulator when the temperature drops below the fuel oil fired system. Im looking at a good deal on a solar hot water controller that I think will do the job.

of course, i will loose the fact that this inconvienience is also a saftey factor against freezing the OWB system.

anyone else do this or have comments?

barkeatr

A solar control might be on the right track, because I think they have a low temp on setting, so you could turn the circulator off at a certain temp so you arent heating the OWB lines, but will also turn the circulator back on at a low temp like 50F so the water doesnt freeze in the lines.

Could you use one of these?

http://www.mydtcstore.com/index.html

I just installed one of these for my solar system, and it is working well.

It can be configured for many different applications.

afblue said:
A solar control might be on the right track, because I think they have a low temp on setting, so you could turn the circulator off at a certain temp so you arent heating the OWB lines, but will also turn the circulator back on at a low temp like 50F so the water doesnt freeze in the lines.

GOOD TIP THANK YOU...I notice this product does have a 600 watt limit on the pump..so i need to check the wattage on my pump..its pretty large. good point though thank you

600W=5.5Amps which is roughly in the 1/3 hp, 100GPM+, 2 1/2" range, I am sure you will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.