Convection Blower auto swith to high based on stove temp?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peirhead

Feeling the Heat
Aug 8, 2008
PEI Canada
I recall reading somewhere that the Quad's convection blower will automatically go to high if the stove temp gets high enough..regardless of heat setting.

.It might be a safety feature to keep the stove cooler until the snap switch turns it off (if it over temps,) but would also put more heat into the house....

Can anyone confirm this??

I recall reading somewhere that the Quad's convection blower will automatically go to high if the stove temp gets high enough..regardless of heat setting.

.It might be a safety feature to keep the stove cooler until the snap switch turns it off (if it over temps,) but would also put more heat into the house....

Can anyone confirm this??

I have not heard of this on Quad's. The control box provides the voltage for the blower speed, and I don't think the box "knows" a temperature that could be used to trigger this.

The Quad overtemp safety feature is the snap disc #2, which will interrupt the auger feed while overtemped. The stove would cool down due to lack of fuel.

Yes I believe you are right...maybe it was some other stove...regardless it seems like a good idea..

There are some threads here where people are modding stoves to increase heat output.....Some are getting convection output temps over 200...i wonder if the internal temps are getting close to 250 and open the #2 snapdisk?

I have seen this feature on other stoves, maybe Napoleon.

Most of the Quad-mod threads are tweaking the convection side of the stove. This should be extracting more heat out of the combustion gases, which would result in lower exhaust temperatures so the snap disc shouldn't trip.

It takes quite a bit to trip those safety snap discs. My stove was in bad shape when we bought the house. We didn't know it, but the convection blower was so weak that on High it blew less air than it should on Low. It took at least 5 or 6 hours running on High before the disc tripped. (A new convection blower fixed it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.