convection blower gasket.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
needed a new convection blower for my ef2, ordered from amazon, and didn't come with a gasket. I dont have enough of the lytherm stuff left to create another one. is this stuff I found on amazon good for a convection gasket.
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-9615-Compressed-Material/dp/B00068OLEW

some reviewers said they have used it for pellet stoves, one says it is flammable. well if I have flames there and I have a big problem. has anyone here used it?

Mixpat, THANK YOU for suggesting the Mr. Gasket stuff. I also have an EF2, and getting a lytherm gasket in place along with the fan is a balancing act that I'm just not qualified to perform. There happens to be a Reilly's near me, so I went there at lunchtime today. I just cleaned and oiled the fan and getting back in was, for a change, stress-free.

Reactions: mixpat
Isn't a convection blower just sucking room air, what do you need a 1200 deg rated gasket there for ?

I'm sure I don't. But for $12 I got enough material to make several gaskets, compared to purchasing them for $12 each online. It fits perfectly, and it's much better at sound isolation that the pre-made gaskets, so I'm happy.

Reactions: alternativeheat
Isn't a convection blower just sucking room air, what do you need a 1200 deg rated gasket there for ?

You dont really... its mostly just a seal so all the air gets pushed thru along with it being a vibration dampener. But you dont want paper or foam catching on fire...

Depends on the stoves configuration I suppose but on my P61 the fan is near floor level, lucky if it see's 68 deg there. The fan gets cat fuzz in the fins sometimes and I have to clean it. It's never been hot cat fuzz .

The EF2 is a special PITA when it comes to that gasket. The blower is in a tight spot, so only two bolts hold it on. At the opposite end, the flange hangs from a lip, and the space above is exactly wide enough for the flange and a 1/16" gasket. Getting a soft gasket to stay in place and not get all mashed up as you slide it in takes more than a little luck and patience. It's a 1-second job with this heavier material.

The EF2 is a special PITA when it comes to that gasket. The blower is in a tight spot, so only two bolts hold it on. At the opposite end, the flange hangs from a lip, and the space above is exactly wide enough for the flange and a 1/16" gasket. Getting a soft gasket to stay in place and not get all mashed up as you slide it in takes more than a little luck and patience. It's a 1-second job with this heavier material.
Nice !

Depends on the stoves configuration I suppose but on my P61 the fan is near floor level, lucky if it see's 68 deg there. The fan gets cat fuzz in the fins sometimes and I have to clean it. It's never been hot cat fuzz .

The fan on my englander is bolted right to the back of the stove up above where the temp sensor is bolted.. flat stove gasket is used on mine.. more than likely the reason fans on these seem to die so often being subjected to the heat.

The fan on my englander is bolted right to the back of the stove up above where the temp sensor is bolted.. flat stove gasket is used on mine.. more than likely the reason fans on these seem to die so often being subjected to the heat.
I believe the Englander motors have oiler caps in them and stoves also have a bearing or two that needs greasing as well. This should be an annual maintenance item and then the motors last for years. Or so The video I watched said anyway. I have no experience with the stoves myself but I'm always snooping around other brands besides my Harman lol ! Not sure this pertains to the distribution fan either, so guess I'm just babbling now.

Anyway, I get curious about other stoves cause one day I may install a second stove in my basement to take the chill out of my shop down there. I haven't hit on the ideal Dream Machine yet though. England is in the running at least.

I believe the Englander motors have oiler caps in them and stoves also have a bearing or two that needs greasing as well. This should be an annual maintenance item and then the motors last for years. Or so The video I watched said anyway. I have no experience with the stoves myself but I'm always snooping around other brands besides my Harman lol ! Not sure this pertains to the distribution fan either, so guess I'm just babbling now.

Anyway, I get curious about other stoves cause one day I may install a second stove in my basement to take the chill out of my shop down there. I haven't hit on the ideal Dream Machine yet though. England is in the running at least.

No oil caps on mine.. new ones possibly. But considering this stove is 15 years old its still in pretty damn good shape so thats a plus towards englanders. As far as the fans i have no clue when they were replaced last.. the auger bearings are greasable on this one but i believe some are not. i couldnt refuse a free stove when i was shopping around last fall so i took chance..

No oil caps on mine.. new ones possibly. But considering this stove is 15 years old its still in pretty damn good shape so thats a plus towards englanders. As far as the fans i have no clue when they were replaced last.. the auger bearings are greasable on this one but i believe some are not. i couldnt refuse a free stove when i was shopping around last fall so i took chance..
Nice score, just what I need for my basement shop, free !

Status
Not open for further replies.