Convection blower only works on high?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boondoggie

Nov 29, 2012
Southern NH
I just bought a house with a Napoleon NPI40 insert, which works great, except that the convection blower only works full blast.

This stove is manual control; one knob for pellet rate, another for convection blower.... but the blower knob only sees on or off. The owners manual says the stove will override the convection knob if the stove is too hot... but since I can shut the blower off whenever I want I must not be overheated, right?

So to my logic it seems like the failed part must just be the potentiometer behind that convection knob? Don't they usually fail "wide open"?

Second question is: do I care? is full blast the best way to get the most heat out of the stove?

If the convection blower runs on high at all times (no control with the blower controller),
check the connections from the 160°F (71°C) sensor (located on the upper left side on
the rear of the fi re wall) and convection blower controller to the blower. Disconnect one
of the wires from the sensor and if control of the convection blower returns to the
blower controller, replace the sensor.
- If the motor is still on high, re-connect the sensor and replace the convection blower
controller.

Did you try the above yet?

I have not, only because I can turn it off and on while the stove is at temp... which says to me that the stove isn't just overriding the control. I can turn the fan on on a cold stove and it goes full blast too.

I'll try that tho, can't hurt.

It's from the manual and I highly suggest you do those things first. Some of the seasoned veterans on here get testy if you don't follow the instruction manual first. I had to learn that hard way. The motto on here is if all else fails then that means you did not read the manual. Let us know how you make out and what you find. BTW Welcome!!

You need a new rheostat, if you can turn the control and it only works on the highest setting and seems to "shut off" when you turn it down it is the rheostat. If you turn the knob and it only stays on high....even when the controller knob is off, it is a fan switch issue

You need a new rheostat, if you can turn the control and it only works on the highest setting and seems to "shut off" when you turn it down it is the rheostat. If you turn the knob and it only stays on high....even when the controller knob is off, it is a fan switch issue
We
Hi, Scott! I have posted a similar question today regarding our 4 year old free standing NPS40 pellet stove. We have made sure that the override switch is still working; the convection fan will cut on when the stove reaches a high temperature, even if the knob is turned OFF. The low temperature switch is still working. Don't know if the high temp switch is still working because the override switch did kick in and turn the fan on.

Here's our problem, as we have currently isolated it: When we start up the stove, we often leave the convection fan off until the convection tubes have heated up. Once they've heated up a bit, we turn the convection blower fan on. We've had a couple of incidents where we've turned the fan knob to ON, we've bypassed the highest setting of 5 and turned the knob to the lower fan setting of 3. The fan will not run. We can hear a humming- from the fan motor? or perhaps from a bad rheostat? but the convection blower fan is not blowing. We have to turn the fan knob to 5, or high, and the fan will start. THEN we can turn the knob down to 3, or any other lower setting, and the fan will continue to run. Does this also sound like a rheostat issue? We are trying to figure out which part we need to order.

Thank you!

We
Hi, Scott! I have posted a similar question today regarding our 4 year old free standing NPS40 pellet stove. We have made sure that the override switch is still working; the convection fan will cut on when the stove reaches a high temperature, even if the knob is turned OFF. The low temperature switch is still working. Don't know if the high temp switch is still working because the override switch did kick in and turn the fan on.

Here's our problem, as we have currently isolated it: When we start up the stove, we often leave the convection fan off until the convection tubes have heated up. Once they've heated up a bit, we turn the convection blower fan on. We've had a couple of incidents where we've turned the fan knob to ON, we've bypassed the highest setting of 5 and turned the knob to the lower fan setting of 3. The fan will not run. We can hear a humming- from the fan motor? or perhaps from a bad rheostat? but the convection blower fan is not blowing. We have to turn the fan knob to 5, or high, and the fan will start. THEN we can turn the knob down to 3, or any other lower setting, and the fan will continue to run. Does this also sound like a rheostat issue? We are trying to figure out which part we need to order.

Thank you!
Yes, that is a rheostat or fan controller

http://www.amazon.com/KBMC-13BV-H90...5892749&sr=8-63&keywords=rheostat+fan+control

11OCjXYTGLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The set this switch, once wired, turn on and turn it all the way to the lowest setting. See the little white screw there in the center of the five holes in front? turn that clockwise until the fan stops moving, then rotate counterclockwise until the fan flades freely move. That will be your low setting. Everything else turned up will be a graduation up to full speed.

Reactions: becasunshine
Yes, that is a rheostat or fan controller

http://www.amazon.com/KBMC-13BV-H9034-Solid-State-Control/dp/B007YA2UAC/ref=sr_1_63?ie=UTF8&qid=1355892749&sr=8-63&keywords=rheostat fan control

11OCjXYTGLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The set this switch, once wired, turn on and turn it all the way to the lowest setting. See the little white screw there in the center of the five holes in front? turn that clockwise until the fan stops moving, then rotate counterclockwise until the fan flades freely move. That will be your low setting. Everything else turned up will be a graduation up to full speed.

You will resuse the knob and the lock nut from your other controller on this new switch and you will also need to attach two new disconnects to the wires

This is also helpful. I am bookmarking this thread. We have to order the new rheostat. I will make sure that The Husband knows of these two new disconnects. Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.