Convection Blower Speed Fluctuates - Advantage ii-t

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friendlydog

Dec 1, 2015
Spokane County, WA
I've got a 20yr old Whitfield Advantage II-T pellet stove. I've only had it for a short time and, for the most part, it seems to burn ok.

But there is one thing that bothers me that I doubt is normal. The speed of the convection blower fluctuates.
When the auger is moving (auger light is on) the speed of the convection blower increases.
When the auger is off (auger light is off) the speed of the convection blower decreases.

I looked through the manual and did an online search, but couldn't find anything related to blower speed oscillating.

Any troubleshooting ideas?

Thanks

I'd carefully check the wiring, especially the returns to neutral, for starters. I'd also monitor the voltage going to the motor, just to make sure it's an electrical issue, and not somehow mechanical or airflow related.

If you put an AC volt meter on the convection blower when the stove is running you will probably see a voltage drop when the auger runs. Your job is to find out why it is dropping. I would start by tracing the wires back from the blower to the source at the control board and unplug and re-plug any connectors in the circuit including the 6 wire plug at the control board.. A dirty connection can cause resistance which in turn causes voltage drop.

If it was my stove I would clean all of the electrical connectors that I could find.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.