CONVECTION BLOWER TURNS ON AND OFF

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lily949668

Nov 19, 2008
ontario canada

Hi,
I have had a Quadrafire 1000 since 1993
Has caused me little grief and great savings on heating!
Starting it up this season, the convection blower started squeaking. Oiled it, but no help.
Eventually convection blower stopped working.
Purchased a new convection blower today and installed.
Blower started working right away, but continues to turn on for approx 5-8 seconds, shut off for about same length of time, then back on again in a continual cycle.
Thought perhaps snap disc #1 was in need of change, so change it.......no difference.
Is it perhaps another snap disc that is the problem.......????
Please help
Thanks

sounds like the motor is shutting down on thermal overload....then cooling off and starting again..check to see if the motor has a thermal overload in it..if it does and the fan is clean i would suspect an obstruction of airflow somewhere is causing the motor to work too hard

I have a Quadra Fire 1000 and I'm having the same problem. I thought that the problem was snap disc #1, so I came to this site for support for my theory. Did you ever solve your problem? I'm convinced that my stove needs the same thing that yours needed. Let me know as soon as you can, it has been COLD in northern michigan this year!

bareturtle said:
I have a Quadra Fire 1000 and I'm having the same problem. I thought that the problem was snap disc #1, so I came to this site for support for my theory. Did you ever solve your problem? I'm convinced that my stove needs the same thing that yours needed. Let me know as soon as you can, it has been COLD in northern michigan this year!

That was a two year old post you brought back from the museum.

The blowers fail for several reasons and it may not be a failing blower.

The control board has a say in the matter as do snap discs.

The blowers fail due to lack of lubrication, overheating, lack of cleaning, etc ...

If it is a snap disc you can jumper them to rule them out.

I'm going to try putting a jumper over the snap disc right now. That will rule out one more thing. The motor seems to run well when it's running. It's quiet and runs smoothly... I'll try hitting it with some air to free up any dirt inside that may be causing it to overheat or fail in any other way. What do I do if the problem is in the control board? Is there maintenance that I can do to it?

Thank you for your help! Today is the first time that I've visited this site, and it's GREAT! I posted my first official question (https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/65800/) and I'm sure that I'll be back a lot since I live in such a cold climate and have such an old stove!

Since the original conv blower seized up and caused a dead short for the controller board output then I wouldn't be surprised if the triac is junk.
Jumper the snap disk and see if the on off still occurs. I have yet to see a thermal shutoff in any conv fan, but you could try unplugging and running straight 115 to it and look for on/off problem.
My gut instinct is the controller having problems because of the seized motor causing over current.

That is quite good if you got 17 years out of it without any problems until now. Is the new conv blower a bushing or bearing blower?

make sure it's not back feeding through the auger circuit and is on of with auger. Old control boards will grow microscopic fingers from the solder joints. also a wire could have gotten way to hot and melted to the auger wire. could be wire in wrong place. few thoughts.

are you good with wiring on snap disc number 1 you can disconnect the power from the control box and apply 110 volt to that side of the snap disc the stove will run like normal except the fan will b at full speedon my stove I gained heat....

Status
Not open for further replies.