Convection fan humm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mepellet

Minister of Fire
Aug 10, 2011
Central ME
Filled the stove up with pellets, took the damp rid out and fired it up to make sure everything was ready for when needed. Distribution fan turned on and is making a humming sound. Any ideas? I did take the fan off and impeller out to clean it a couple weeks ago. Also gave it a good blast with compressed air.
I'd attach a video but not sure how right now.

Hello MePellet

Sorry to hear that, the P61 I got for my converted garage had a loud screaching sound in the convection blower. That is a sign of worn out bearings in that motor.

In your case a loud hum is the sign of worn or bad motor coil windings where some of the lamination has worn off and the windings become shorted.

If you upload the video to youtube then you can add the link here so we can see it.

Either way I think we both need a new distribution blower. I already got a new one and it works well now.

How old is your blower?

In the meantime you can disconnect the blower spade connectors and use the stove in fireplace mode.

Stove is just over 2 years old. Installed September 2011. I sure hope I don't need a new fan after only 2 years. I wonder if I didn't put the impeller back on the shaft correctly.

If there is something blocking the squirrel cage from turning, that will also make it hum.

Since the fan is easy to take off, do it. I don't remove the fan from the motor shaft but clean with a stiff brush. You may have set the fan to close to the housing and it's binding.

Def not blocking from turning because there's plenty of airflow when it is running. I did seat the impeller too far on the shaft originally and it was scraping on the back not the fan housing so I had to take it off and reposition the impeller.

I get " this video is private"

I would take out the fan and power it directly to rule out the possibility of a board induced frequency. I was originally thinking that the fan was not turning from your first post.

Same YouTube BS

Reactions: P38X2
My fan has sounded that way since I bought my P 43 new. I always thought it was normal but now I am wondering...........hmmmmmm

My fan has sounded that way since I bought my P 43 new. I always thought it was normal but now I am wondering...........hmmmmmm
You have had the humming/whirring sound from the convection fan since it was new?

You have had the humming/whirring sound from the convection fan since it was new?

Yes I have. The first year I wedged a tennis ball between the motor and the hearth board, that quieted it down.. After the first year I got used to it. It's my first pellet stove and I assumed it was just one of the many noises that they make. Maybe I should buy a new motor too. It would be nice to get rid of that noise.

Yes I have. The first year I wedged a tennis ball between the motor and the hearth board, that quieted it down.. After the first year I got used to it. It's my first pellet stove and I assumed it was just one of the many noises that they make. Maybe I should buy a new motor too. It would be nice to get rid of that noise.
While I am sorry to hear your motor has been bugging you the whole time I am glad to hear that you have been using it like that without any other problems.

Reactions: PJPellet
Fixed it. Noticed it was only humming at low speed. While it was humming I slightly pushed on the back of the fan housing like pjpellet mentioned he did and noticed it quieted down. I then adjusted the position of the impeller on the motor shaft. Moved it closer to the bottom of the shaft. Much quieter now. Thanks pjpellet for mentioning the tennis ball trick you used. Helped me fix my problem.

Reactions: PJPellet
Someone had posted " what was it humming ?"
I'll put in "Burning ring of fire"

Reactions: mepellet
Someone had posted " what was it humming ?"
I'll put in "Burning ring of fire"
I had posted "Did you recognize the melody?" a few days ago, but deleted it, because I didn't feel I had earned my stripes here just yet and didn't want to draw any heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.