Convection Fan Not Going to High

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra1365

Jan 9, 2011
Delaware
I have a Lopi Pioneer Bay and the convection fan is not kicking into high.
I recently replaced the door gasket and glass seals and upon start up, I noticed it didn't go through the typical start up routine. Usually, it starts a burn and at a certain temperature, the fan kicks into high. Now, it stays at low speed and we've started noticing an overheat like smell. As if the stove is hotter than usual.

My question is do I replace the fan or is there a temp sensor that it uses to kick into high (or is it based on a time cycle)?

So, I removed the fan yesterday and gave it a really good cleaning. It was not as bad a some here have attested theirs was. But, I still managed to get some dust out of it.
After, I spun the fan with my fingers. It did not "freewheel" but required me to keep turning it. Pretty sure the motor is kaput. So, ordered a new one.
I'm concerned though that the toasted motor may have damaged the control board so it never powered up to full speed. Would a bad motor not turn at a higher speed even when the control board stepped it up to 120?
How do the snap switches work in the convection fan circuit?

Thanks!

So, I removed the fan yesterday and gave it a really good cleaning. It was not as bad a some here have attested theirs was. But, I still managed to get some dust out of it.
After, I spun the fan with my fingers. It did not "freewheel" but required me to keep turning it. Pretty sure the motor is kaput. So, ordered a new one.
I'm concerned though that the toasted motor may have damaged the control board so it never powered up to full speed. Would a bad motor not turn at a higher speed even when the control board stepped it up to 120?
How do the snap switches work in the convection fan circuit?

Thanks!
A motor with a noticeable drag as you mention will not turn at full speed when power is applied. The drag will slow down the rotation of the motor, and it can be a considerable loss of speed.

I'm not sure I'd assume the control board has a problem at this point. You know the motor is a problem, so you start with replacing that. You can also use a meter to check the input voltage to the motor if you think the control board isn't supplying the expected power.

Thanks. That is sort of what I was thinking. New Fan should be here by Thursday. Of course with the holidays....

Status
Not open for further replies.